Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lack of...Something



Like most the country, it's been down right cold here. The picture is kind of pathetic but I was trying to show how little snow we got here. Not even enough to cover the field stubble. It flurried constantly for 3 days with no accumulations but the first night. The overcast and bitter cold days are pretty depressing. Gee, just what I need, right? Today, it's sunny and the reflection off the pitiful amount of snow we have is blinding. It's a glorious 7 degrees. Even with me going out and checking for eggs every 2 hours, I'm still finding frozen ones. the chickens have almost quit laying completely and i don't blame them. Way too cold! I've also kept them caught up in the barn where they can burrow in the hay if they choose to so they aren't getting their normal dose of sunlight. It's light in there during the day(skylights) but just not the same as being out in the sunlight. I can't have them with frozen feet. Just 2 more days of below freezing temps and then we're right back up to the 40s. That's a relief for me, it's awful cold over in the storage house right now. Had to let the power company shut the electric off so no heater anymore. The monthly customer charge was more than the power we used every month but we just don't have the money. Thankfully there's no water lines to freeze or I'd be in sorry shape.

It's hard to think about spring and starting seeds when it's so cold out but the time to get going is really just a few weeks away. I have resisted the urge to spread all my seed bags out on the kitchen table. If I get them out, I'll want to start some and I know it will be an exercise in futility with it being so cold and drafty in here. I'm struggling with the self control. Getting the seeds started is like a fresh start for me. Planting is always so full of hope and expectation, dreams of the harvest to come.

I found a good source of quality milk to start making cheese again. Of course, it's going to cost me so I'll have to wait for the hubby to become employed. It's looking like sometime this coming week. I've heard that so many times, I'm not making plans just yet. I'll have to pay the mortgage first thing since we're so close to defaulting before I go buy any milk to make cheese. I'm also trying to figure out what's left to go to the resale shop for fuel money. I'm about out of things to sell. To top it all off, I've developed a bad tooth over the past few days. I would imagine it's due to stress. the tooth has pushed up almost half way out, it's very loose and is preventing me from eating even with topical pain reliever. It'r right in front on the bottom and it's out far enough, it's pushing on the roof of my mouth. In a couple of days if it keeps going like it has, i should be able to pull it myself. Boy is that going to hurt. I don't have much choice tho, sooner or later, I'm going to have to eat. It's hard cooking and baking every day and not being able to eat the results. Well, at least the family has plenty to eat!

I think about this whole very bad year as a growing experience. I think about our acestors who lived like this all the time, struggling to pay their debts to the bank, desperately trying to keep enough food on the table to feed their families, all the hard work to keep their livestock alive thru the winter. I know by the grace of God, we'll make it thru this. So, if you have a spare moment, say a little prayer for us please.

13 comments:

  1. Rough start to a new year, lady! I feel your pain on the tooth. The year before last I had the last of mine pulled and got dentures. $1700.00, but worth every penny and then some! I had bad teeth for quite a while and had pulled several of mine myself because I had no other alternative. "Where There Is No Dentist" is available as a pdf file online if you look for it. Basically, after you pull, rinse your mouth 3 times with warm salt water, pack moistened gauze in the socket and leave the gauze there, at least overnight. No straws, no smoking and sip only warm beverages. No hot, no cold. Aspirin used judiciously for pain, but don't go overboard as it can increase bleeding. (I stay away from Tylenol--bad stuff!)If you have a spare hydrocodone or other decent painkiller around, use one of those the first night after pulling so you can sleep. No alcohol. After first 24 hours, pull gauze out and repack--always use moistened gauze or put a bit of petroleum jelly on it to avoid drying out the socket! After 72 hours, you can probably go without the gauze, but be careful not to knock the clot out of the socket. After a week, you should be able to eat and drink as normal. Good luck...I know too well how dreadfully it hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lamb, thanks so much for the advice, this is horrible! I think it's close to loose enough to come out and thankfully I don't indulge in alcohol so that's not a problem. I'm gonna be double cranky with no coffee tho as I'm sure it will cause bleeding from the caffine, bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. saw your post on the cash flow issue... are you still selling cheese? can i help out by buying some from you? im in pennsylvania and am a regular reader of your blog....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Steve! I wish I could make some cheese, I can not afford the milk right now. Soon as we pull out of this I will be back to making cheese and will give some away on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one tough lady and inspire me greatly. Sorry to hear about the hard times and especially the tooth problem.

    My best wishes to you and yer family.
    Please do keep blogging, you have no idea how much I have learned from you already.

    Busted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bustedknuckles, thanks for stopping in! You're so very welcome and I'm gonna do everything i can to keep on blogging about the farm and growing what we eat. God will help us thru this, I know it. Say a prayer for us please. Oh, hubby pulled the tooth for me! I'll put a pic of it on the blog......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing...you really do it all, huh?! Even your own dentist ;)
    I am so sorry that you're in this scrape...kind of makes ya' sick to know that you're doing so much for humanity and our planet and getting these obstacles...Helen Keller said Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
    I pray that this will be the strengthening of your souls. Thank you for what you're doing...I follow all the time and I am excited and amused by your life. We are looking forward to our own self-sufficient life and your words put a face on what I read from John Seymour and Carla Emory. May you and your family be richly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about all your hard time right now and hope that you are not in a lot of pain. I know that you and your family will make it through this. At least it will warm up some in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sunshyneshanny! so nice to see you! Thank you so much for your comment and for your prayers. God Bless!

    Tango, thanks for your visit and your happy thoughts. Oh yah, it hurts! It's less than it was before now that it's pulled out. 40 degrees on the way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I am a new reader of your blog. I have read for a few weeks now. I am sorry for the enemployment, I know how it is, my husband starts a new job tomorrow after over 5 months of no work.
    I do many of the same things you do so your blog is of intrest to me.
    Hope your toothless state improves soon, pain wise.
    Once I had a toothe removed and thought I would die from the pain. The finally packed it with gauze that was soaked in clove oil, it gave instant relief. It had to be changed out twice a day for 3 or 4 days until a clot formed. The reader who said to be careful not to lose the clot is so right. No clot=dry socket=PAIN That is what I had.
    Anyway hand in there.
    debbieo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the spelling errors. I must be tired.
    debbieo

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's okay and welcome aboard! So glad to see you here! I'm thrilled over the tooth being gone, it's doing well right now, I hope it stays that way. Thanks for the clove oil tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, MM. I'm sorry to hear that it has been a rough start to the new year. Praying that the job will actually come through this week!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome