Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Imported Foods

Unless you live in the frozen tundra in the Arctic,
there's no reason why you can't grow food for yourself. Thousands upon thousands of early American settlers didn't homestead land out in the middle of nowhere and miracle themselves something to eat. They had to grow it, harvest it and preserve it for themselves to survive. Yes, it can be done. If it couldn't, you and I would not be here.

The Wall Street Journal (which I find to be a waste most days) actually had an article I wanted to read in it. Imported Food Outbreaks. This article talks about the rise in occurrences of food borne illness such as salmonella, typhoid and e coli. Our government keeps making up new laws which restrict the freedoms of American citizens while still importing and NOT properly inspecting food from other countries which makes us sick and even kills our citizens. Yes, we line up at walmart to buy this crap too.

Why do we keep doing this? Why are we importing food when this country is perfectly capable of producing plenty enough food to feed it's own people?

7 comments:

  1. Excellent question...I believe it is because many are lazy-or have no idea how to because of our government education from birth to college.

    Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Humble Wife! Good to see you! I think yes, your excellent opinion plus money has something to do with it too.

      Delete
  2. every person i come across in my day to day life that i actually share conversations with compliment me on my talents for gardening, sewing, and other things i do and when i tell them they can do these things as well i get an earful of all kinds of excuses and reasons why they cant do that or they dont know how or they dont have the time. there are an awful lotta folks out there who have been made "brain dead" by wanting everything and wanting it now and dont care how they get it. i call these folks the shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didnt crowd of people. they are (if they survive) gonna be in for some really tough times when and if they wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people compliment me; others ask why I would sew this, grow that or recycle "when it so cheap to buy." Well, that is not the point, and I cannot afford to buy everything I want or need. Also, I get a lot of satisfaction sewing, growing, and making things I need. Granted, I am not as prolific as I once was, but i still keep sewing, growing, and repairing.

    To some people it is shameful to make things that they can put on a credit card. It is a warped way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey PP! Yah, you're right, it is a warped way of thinking. I too get great satisfaction from doing it all for myself. I just cant be any other way.

      Delete
  4. I heard in a Joel Salatin video the other day that (I totally include my nation, Canada, here) we are a nation of victim mantality ready with all kinds of excuses and reasons for why we can't be more self reliant.

    When really we're just apathetic, and dare I say it? lazy. I just don't understand where that way of thinking got started. (Present company excluded of course!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome