Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Self Sufficiency-bread making


Today is a day that I almost wish blogger had a scratch and sniff option. The whole house smelled wonderful while this was baking. My sour dough starter smelled like malt whiskey and worked into my daily bread recipe very nicely. It came out with a nice, light sour dough flavor. A sweet change from the every day bread I bake.

I did end up with a bubble at the top but I think it's because I rushed the rise a little bit. Or, maybe I didn't knead the air out of it good enough. I haven't heard any complaints from the bread eaters tho, LOL.

Just a simple bread recipe of 3 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon of oil to make it smooth. the sour dough starter was added in at 2/3 cup and I ended up adding in another 3/4 cup of flour to make the dough smooth and elastic. it came out beautiful!

Edited to add starter instructions-
1 tablespoon yeast (or 1 packet-not rapid rise)
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups flour
2 more cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar or honey (I used honey)

in a plastic bowl, dissolve yeast in the 1/2 cup water. Add flour, additional water and sugar/honey. Blend well. Place in a 2 quart jar ( room for expansion) and place on counter until desired sourness ( mine took 4 days). Stir it 2 or 3 times a day.

This mixture allows me to use 2/3 cup of starter at a time and to feed it afterward, I add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup flour and a teaspoon of sugar/honey. I'm storing it in the fridge now and each time I want to use it, I will let it warm up to room temperature. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I am going to make a new starter, maybe tomorrow. My last one went bad. I really want to learn how to make sourdough bread,as it is my favorite. Yours looks so good. Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also need to get a new starter going. I used to make all sorts of stuff with my sourdough and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good!! Can you tell us how you made the starter? Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane, Hi Becky!
    Hi Anon, post edit for you! Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing this. I have wanted to start sourdough for a while now. Your recipes and tips always work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me soooo wish I could eat wheat!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome