Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Food Freedom-op-ed time

Yep, I'm going to voice my opinion. Thank you Chicago Tribune for making me spit my coffee all over my desk this morning. Chicago school bans some lunches from home. This story has sparked some nasty controversy across the web and I wanted to point out a few things about it. First off, the story clearly states that this isn't something new, the school has been doing this for 6 years now. having lived relatively close to this area in my 20's, I know exactly what type of public school this is and the area that surrounds it. Have a look for yourself with the google map, just type in 2620 S Lawndale Ave, Chicago, Illinois and it brings you right to it. To see the school itself, the schoolyard, the businesses around it and the houses, simply zoom in.

Secondly and a continuance of my first point, if this school and/or the Chicago public school system in general has been practicing this for 6 years now, why all of the sudden is there media attention and where was the parents outrage at being told what to feed their own children, way back then?

This is stupidity, on so many levels. Are we so numb to our surroundings, brainwashed by the television, lulled into complacency by the main stream media lies that we can't see ourselves being enslaved, completely controlled? How did we come to a place where we would allow local, state or federal governmental entities to tell us how to raise and feed our own children? Are we lemmings or citizens of a free nation?

Now, if you are using the example of what the public school here in southern Illinois is feeding the children as being a healthy meal and a guideline for eating healthy, you need to be institutionalized. It has not been very long since my youngest was in grade school and the crap they were passing off as food was not fit to be fed to my dog. I seriously doubt it has suddenly improved. Now, granted, I use home grown whole foods to create healthy meals for my family but a person can learn to choose healthy foods even at Walmarts grocery section. A "haystack" made with crushed Doritos, some mystery garbage laced with ammonia they pass off as ground beef, fake cheese because you can't serve real cheese and wilty lettuce is NOT a healthy meal I would choose for my children. Nor is some frozen fish sticks a healthy choice.

Wake up people, take responsibility for yourselves and quit letting 545 idiots make decisions for the rest of the 306 million people in this country.

8 comments:

  1. people need to learn how to take responsible for their own lives and scream bloody murder when someone tells them they aren't. I think this made the news because some parent did just that...if people allow it to happen, perhaps they deserve what they are getting. Haystack??? rofl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey HP! Yes, i agree. This is not something that should have been allowed 6 years ago and frankly, I am shocked it has taken this long for people to get angry. Yes, haystack, it's disgusting and the school serves it once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to get REALLY upset, start looking into GMO's! That'll make your head spin. How do we figure out what's got it and what doesn't?? I'm growing some of our own food, but growing my own grain is a bit daunting. I wish the US would wise up and do what the EU is doing and require labeling of all foods with GMO's in them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. K Girl, I agree with that, GMO's are corporate sponsored poison. I think the only way to ensure non GMO food is to produce it for yourself. Yep, grain in any decent amount takes quite a bit of space to grow. Not an easy thing if you don't live out in the boonies with acres just laying around. Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As my DH would say, "Some people should be shot." Of course he doesn't mean it literally, but it sure feels good to say it sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Sue, yep, I agree with that too! Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way back in the late 70s, I had a couple of children in school. We didn't have much money, but I could pack them a sandwich with homemade bread, homemade cookies, fresh fruit and send a nickel for milk. We were contacted repeatedly asking us to sigh up for free/reduced price lunch. I said no because I could afford to make a nutritious lunch. Then a few years later, in Jr high, the school tried to get 100% participation in the school lunch program by promising the class a movie on Friday if everyone bought or got their lunch at school. The boy didn't want to be the cause of the class not getting the movie so he stashed his lunch in the locker. Eventually I took everyone out of school and then homeschooled from then on but you get the point. I expected this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Patti, peer pressure and bribes, that was nice of them. That's how they make little nazis. Good for you homeschooling, your children were most certainly better educated! Thanks for stopping in

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome