Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

In Baking Mode


Why is it Christmas always makes me want to bake everything and anything? Cookies, pies, pastires, breads, LOL, pretty soon my kitchen will be over flowing and I can feel my butt getting bigger by the second!


Back in early summer, my Mom had a catalog sent to me from King Arthur Flour Company. There's a few things I'd love to have from them but I can't afford them and I won't ask my Mom to buy them for me. But what I think is the most impressive about the company and they're website is the recipe section. Just trying out a few of the recipes posted there (for free no less) makes one a better baker. Plus, think of all the money you can save by just taking the time to do it for yourself! I like Italian and French breads. If I drive 70 miles round trip to a grocery store to buy those breads for anywhere between $3 and $5 a loaf, that's quite a bit of time and money I just spent. For pennies on the dollar, I could easily spend that drive time waiting for my dough to rise and bake that bread myself! Instead of having to be out in the traffic and crowds, I get to tend my plants or read something on homesteading or work on any number of projects I have going. For me, that's double benefit! My time is so stretched anymore, it's just easier for me to do it for myself. Not only does it allow me to get a few more things done and save money, but I am comforted in knowing I'm eating healthier. Which, of course, is the whole point of becoming self sustained.
Later today I will post some pictures of the goodies my kitchen is producing today ;) In the meantime, Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

  1. I bet your kitchen smells wonderful right now! Here I didn't get as much baking as I would of liked but I do have some kettle beef on for supper... Smells so good...

    Thank you for the information on the site. I will definately have to check them out.

    Merry Christmas!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you all on this lovely farm of yours! I've been reading your blog for abt a year now, and I'm very impressed! Even though you are realistic about your work and living, you seem to be able to do almost whatever you decide to do.

    Here in Finland the climate is much harder, so I'm not able to follow your example in producing what I consume, but many great ideas I have got. Just wait and see when our almost nightless summer comes! :)

    Warm Christmas greetings to you!
    Päivi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas mm to you & your family.Stay warm & safe

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome