Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Prepping for the fall garden


Yesterday while I was catching cows with the neighbor(some needed doctoring) hubby ground me up some fresh wheat flour. I just thought he was saying he wanted some wheat bread. I didn't hit me then but, this morning when I was reading the blogs, Alan Caruba over at Warning Signs did a post about wheat. After I read that post, a little light came on in my head. LOL, yup, just like Wiley Coyote, hehehehe. It's time to start prepping my corn patch for a winter wheat patch. The corn patch was a first year planting and that tends to make it a rough spot. It was, the corn did not do quite as well as I had hoped. I think the constant rains in May and June contributed to that too... Now it's time to add compost, till it all in and under and plant a wheat crop to improve the soil. It's just an 80'x80' spot but it will easily produce at least 10 gallons of wheat. The best part is it won't need any tending at all and goes right thru the winter months covered in snow and ice, still green, waiting for the spring sunshine. It holds the soil in place while putting much needed nutrient into it. Winter wheat is part of the normal crop rotation, even for the small farmers.

Another thing it's time for, my fall garden planting. All those plants that go well in the cool spring weather now grow well in the cooler evenings of fall. Carrots, garlic, onion, radish, borccoli...

3 comments:

  1. MM, can you please do a bigger explanatory post on your winter wheat crop? I'm very interested in this, but have never done it. What kind you grow, what you do to it before winter comes, and most importantly, what you do to it in the spring! I would love to hear more about this. I buy my wheat berries, but they are getting quite expensive. Do I need some special tools for harvesting it in the spring? etc,etc,etc. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gen! I will do a whole post on it, I've been meaning to do one since spring but just haven't gotten to it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome