Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Long Wednesday




Ah, it's been a long day. My milk pals had an appointment this morning they could not miss so I got to milk the cows. I hate 6am! I was done by 9am, home for my cup of coffee and a small break before a couple last minute adjustments on the haybine and then some cutting. Just about finished the circle drive when a hose blew on me. Drown me all up my back with hydraulic oil. A run up the road to Royal Brass and Hose, $12.oo for a replacement and back to cutting. The haybine is working great. Got another field to cut tomorrow.

Look what I made! My very first wheel of cojack cheese. A blend of Monterey Jack and Colby. A 3lb wheel and that little chunk is all that's left. That figures, LOL.

The little Houdinis are growing like mad and doing well tied out by the horse paddock. The buck kept fighting with the sheep so they had to be seperated. So, the sheep gets the pen and the goats get tied out until I butcher the sheep.

Not too much else going on right now, I haven't seen a single Perseid meteor, depressing, I know, LOL. I did pick some hot peppers and green/red peppers to be dehydrated. I like cooking with them and dehydrating gives me peppers all winter long to use along with the ones I manage to grow in the kitchen windows.

Tomorrow I'm going to add on to the Medicinal Plants postings.....

8 comments:

  1. How often do you move the goats when they're tethered like that? Thinking about goats myself, but I know they can destroy your whole garden if they ever get to it.

    You get milk and I'm guessing some meat from them. How do you like it?

    Just started a blog of my own here:

    WWW.prepyourfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of the the cheese and of the goats! Reminds me of one I had a long time ago!...

    You are getting pretty good with that cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hermit! I'm on pins and needles waiting for baby goats and goat milk for cheese and soap ;)

    Jimmy, Thanks for stopping in! I move them when they eat the grass down, every 3 or 4 days. Oh yah, they'll eat everything in your garden quick. The deal with my milk pal, I bale the hay and help them around the farm, they help me around my farm and supply me milk to drink and make cheese. I buy my own calves, feed them on milk from the cows, keep them in the pasture with all the other cows. It's a mutually beneficial association. Also, there is nothing in the world like the taste of whole, fresh milk or home butchered meat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to see the meteors but didn't have any luck. Cheese looks great!

    matthiasj
    Kentucky Preppers Network

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blown hydraulic line, ya, no fun there. You are fortunate that it was not like the one that gave loose on me two weeks ago.. 1 1/2" line, cost $350.00.

    Spent 4 hours looking for meteors. Saw a total of 16. Humbug!

    Aaaaannnnddddd......the cheese looks wonderful!

    Bob
    III

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure enjoying your blog and the info. Quick question if I may...I am interested in getting a goat for a small pasture that needs to be "eaten" down...I am thinking along the lines of the "small" breed goats. Any suggeations?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can the bought waxed cheese be stored on the shelf like your home waxed? Thanks for all the info on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Diane, email on the way...

    Anon, over at PreparednessPro(link in sites I visit), there's a whole article on waxing and storing commercial cheese. PP says you can keep cheese waxed or years. I've only kept cheese waxed for 6 months and boy was it sharp when I pulled it out. Maybe store bought cheese will keep better with the vegetable oils and preservatives. Just have to try it and see. Sorry I wasn't more help on this subject but cheese just does not last very long here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome