Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Back to normal life

The storm is done and it's back to normal living. The garden out front, partially covered by the apple tree that fell over has a small bit of damage. I lost my cucumber plants! They were pretty big, already producing but could not take the high winds. Guess I better get some more started today to replace them. Too bad, I was looking forward to some cucumber and sour cream with dill. The already in bad shape ban had a few pieces of tin ripped up. It needs repair badly. Not even sure at this point if the joisting can hold my weight to tack the tin back down.

All in all, we made it thru in good shape. I'm really excited about my brick oven and grilling area I plan on building sometime this year. It needs to quit raining so I can pour the concrete pad! The wind caused some cooking problems for me and the rain was also a hinderence. Once the covered porch and cooking area get finished, one major trouble spot will be eliminated. The only other trouble spots I found were laundry and hot showers. I could heat the water no problem but the actual showering proved to be a bit more than we'd expected. So, I'll be working on some ideas to fix those areas as well.

So, I feel like my self sustained livestyle is a worthy adventure. I had more than enough home canned food and a way to pump water without electric, I had a way to cook, it worked out well.

Now for a greenhouse and an outdoor shower.......

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your cucumber plants. At least that's the worst of the problems!

    matthiasj
    Kentucky Preppers Network

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are safe and sound.... "stuff" can be replaced :) We haven't been able to get into our gardens yet as it has been so wet, accept the places where the strawberries and raspberries are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping in and all the well wishes! We made it thru and we did well. Tornado warnings right now, hope it doesn't knock the power out! LOL More rain on the way too, just what we need....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see things are getting back to normal. We've had storms all night here but thankfully everything seems to be ok. Hope you can get those cucumbers started again. We have yet to get ours planted because of all this rain.

    Take care and be safe,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey MM...
    With a positive attitude like yours, I'm sure that things will continue to get better! I am keeping you and yours in my thoughts and hope all continues to fare well...

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome