Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy little sustainist farm

Funny how things work out, isn't it? More news in Yahoo finance, a whole list of companies predicted to fail in 2009. Funny, I don't shop at any of the stores slated to fail. Maybe I'm a hermit, or maybe I'm just a cheap person. I like to think I am frugal but that's just me. There's tons of things out there a person can spend money on that are in no way necessary to one's survival. I love diamonds just as much as the next girl but can you eat them? I sure won't miss any of the clothing stores filled with over priced junk my kids "just have to have" that don't make it thru 5 washes before they fall apart. Won't miss Starbucks either, there isn't one in my area and I grow my own coffee anyway!

Frugality is a way of life just like the survival mindset. Sure, I'll miss the big screen TV and all those great DVDs if and when the grid goes down but life will go on here just like it always does. We'll keep growing our food, butchering our animals and stay healthy and fed. We'll keep prepping for when there's no more necessities available and life will go on. Being willing to do without all the things you really don't need to survive is a good thing. It leaves you ready for when the rest of the world suddenly has to do without and does the "freakout" dance!

Keep preppin'!

1 comment:

  1. Years ago, before I knew as much as I do now (which still ain't much!) I decided to live without electricity for a year just to see if I could! That was interesting, to say the least!

    Once a week, I hooked a small inverter to my truck battery and watched movie on a small tv I had. That was a special treat...

    The point I'm trying to make is that we can all do with less, just depends on how dedicated we are!

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome