Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cooking with what you grow


I needed a distraction today so I went thru the kitchen with comfort food on my mind. I whipped this neat little dish up from things I have grown on the farm.

I guess for the lack of a better name, it's an egg pie. I just whipped up some pie crust dough, pressed it into a spring form pan(cheesecake pan) and then went to fixing the stuff. I used about a cup and a half of the cream I skimmed off the milk yesterday, 6 eggs from my chickens, some green onions growing in my window garden that I chopped real fine and cooked until clear in some home made butter, some ham from the hog I butchered(I pan fried it and chopped it up into teenie pieces) and shredded a couple handfuls of cheese off the block of home made cheddar. I poured the egg mix into the crust, set the oven on 350 and threw it in there for 50 minutes. It actually came out pretty good! It has a light, sweet taste to it.

I'd imagine you could probably put about anything you wanted into the mix and it would still come out good. A nice alternative to eating eggs and bacon/sausage with biscuits every day.

Everything in this dish with the exception of the shortening I used in the crust and the salt I added to the eggs was grown on the farm( milk came from neighbors farm). I think it's a keeper.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good dish to me, almost like a Quiche

    *4 eggs
    * 2 cups half-and-half cream
    * 1/8 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 4 ounces Jarlsberg cheese, shredded
    * 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
    * 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Hermit, it does sound an awful lot like a quiche. But don't say that too loud, hubby won't eat it then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, it's quiche, add some local diced bacon & you have a quiche lorraine..YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good recipe!

    Hubby doesn't like quiche? He should read "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche", by Bruce Feirstein. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup *whispers* tis a quiche! lol.. It is nice to add onion with the bacon and cheese, spring onion (green onions) or chives are also good! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome