Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Goat-napping update

Today we are on the lookout for a crappy white, early 90s ford stepside truck with a red camper top on it, 2 young looking guys with dark hair. No plate number, it was too far away and they took off too fast after they dumped the goats out on the side road, about a half mile from the farm. I got all my goats but one back! My neighbor spotted them and quickly informed me my goats were on the side of the road and headed my way. From the intel I have gathered, Monday night and Tuesday night were the ramadan feast and goat is the menu. A nice man I spoke to from Paducah, Ky (big goat buyer and seller) informed me he loses Boers from his operation every year at this time and I should expect my goats to show up at auction quickly because they're milk goats. So, I canvased every single auction barn within 150 miles yesterday with descriptions and pictures of the goats(yes, I have tons of pictures of my goats) plus the local sale papers, rural farm stores etc. Apparently, the guys that stole my goats can't tell the difference between milk goats and meat goats. The goat I didn't get back was a pygmie cross doe. Lucky was not harmed. We think the truck is local and the sheriffs dept is looking into it. We need to find that truck. We'll find it, half the countryside will know about it by nightfall today.

I feel sick. I'm relieved but I'm angry too. I'm happy I got my Lucky back but I'm still very angry. I nurture and love my herd of goats, gentle them down, work with them, feed them, tend to their needs, play with them every day and all it did was make it easy for some jerk with a feed bucket to walk right up, shake the bucket and steal them from me in broad daylight. My side gate now has a chain and lock on it. It will make it a hassle for me and anyone with bolt cutters will still get thru it but maybe it will slow the next guys that think my goats will make an easy meal down just a little...

21 comments:

  1. from the kell folks---good deal. we have bottle babies too and i would hurt someone to protect them.get ready for more of this as things seem to be going to the dogs pretty quickly around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you got them back! Time for justice. This may be a stupid question but how good of an alert/guard dog do you have? I was just telling my hubby the other day that I think we need to invest in a really good dog (probably lab or retriever). They offer a small sense of security or at least you would be alerted to strangers showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness you got (most of) them back! Next year during Ramadan I'd be standing in my field with a shotgun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. During Ramadan, here at the auctions, the goat prices always go up. So glad you got them back. I'll check back often to find any updates. In the end, I think you will catch the robbers. The nerve of them! Keep us posted! Pat/Texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat,

    Perhaps the moon god worshippers needed some late night company? It might have been date night for them. I suppose we all need a little love. Sadly it does happen.

    Bill Nye

    ReplyDelete
  6. All we need to do is catch a few of these people who think they can steal what they want and punish them accordingly. The truck is local, we'll find them. I am just glad they dumped them out close and not 50 miles from here. I hope it's because I got everywhere quick with the info and pics. Did they think I wouldn't notice them gone and look for them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to hear you got most of them back. Hope the jerks get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure hope you find the last goat and the guilty party pays accordingly.
    Stacey
    SWPA

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is why I have a huge guard dog and now one Llama with the herd. I think I would be more afraid of the Llama though. If you feed the dog it would hold the flash light for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good deal! Why did they dump them? If they had a camper and got away with taking them, why not take them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. PP, I dont' know and I don't care, they coulda kept them all as long as I got my Lucky goat back! Now we know what they look like, it won't be long until they get punished for their foolishness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am absolutely thrilled for you MM -
    These punks don't know who they messed with do they?

    -boatchick-

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very glad they brought them back close before turning them out. Wish the last one would wander up from out of the woods, too. Hope they find that truck soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WooHoo! Time for some country justice!! Glad you got your goats back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. im so happy you got them back especially Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So happy to hear you got most of them back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you got your goats back! I hope you find the last one too, and those toad sucking scuzzbuckets who stole them get what they deserve...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the last one was dinner and I'm working on revenge in every possible way. It will be a long time before I'm not angry over this. I'm also a bit miffed over the police dept treating it so casually. my Lucky didnt wander off anywhere and get lost for a while and the jerks that "borrowed" him need punished!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's so good to hear that almost every goat got home, and your Lucky! A lock on the gate sounds like a good idea, at least it would be a little harder to get to the animals. Quite unbelivable that they thought they could just take them like that. No wonder you're angry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you got your goats back... Where I come from we call them scumbags. Sorry you had to deal with that too. It is a good lesson should I ever pick up a couple of goats. I was unaware that goat was on the menu during Ramadan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!!!!

    I'm new to your blog & am officially follower #307 :)

    Just finished reading about your goat napping & was literally sick to my stomach! I hope the thieves get their just rewards!

    I adore my goats (you can read about them & see pics scattered all over my blog), and would be just sick if someone dared such a thing!

    Happy they are home, I can just imagine how stressful it was for them!

    Best Wishes,
    Crystal
    http://noodlevilleadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome