Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Keep Going


There's not much else one can do but to keep going. Pitching a fit doesn't fix anything and sure doesn't make any problems go away. It sure doesn't feed ya! Our lifeline to the paycheck threw a fit yesterday tho. We've been nursing it along for a while now and it needed attention. So, Lucky didn't want to be left out and made sure to hand me a bunch of tools even if I didn't need them.

It's snowing again. This is by far, the craziest winter I have seen since I've been here. In years past, I would have already had a full window full of seedlings growing. Not this year tho, it's been much too cold and the seeds are not liking it one bit.

I lost another rabbit to the cold. Frozen solid, poor thing. Even with them being in the barn, the sub zero nights are proving to be too much for them. I need to look into a couple solar panels to provide electric for heat lamps in the future. Hard to sustain a supply of bunnies for the table if I can't keep them alive thru the winter anymore.

So, this weeks survival consists of trying to stay warm and carefully planning meals with the food I harvested and preserved. Fresh food from the cold crops looks to be still at least month away.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if this helps with your rabbits but corn heats and oats cool. If you throw a corn cob in their cage or mix some corn in the feed for your rabbits they will be able to heat themselves better. Something about how the body breaks it down.
    You can also help them stay warm by cleaning the cages less often. The poo helps to heat them.
    In the summer if it is to hot (wich it usually is for most rabbits) oats and frozen water bottles for them to lean against will help them keep cool.
    It sounds like a lot of extra work but it's worth it. We lost 4 in one week and then started using the corn and haven't lost any yet.
    Just some thoughts!
    I LOVE your site and a couple you have recomended! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your rabbit! It's been a very cold winter for sure. Let's hope the groundhogs weren't messing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the little rabbit,maybe the corn will help. Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your rabbit. It has been a very strange winter thats for sure. The corn thing is a good one that we use on extra cold nights and days. I also stack my hay bales around the rabbit cages to give them extra insulation from the cold. You are one of the strongest ladies I know on handling situations that the rest of us would have thrown in the towel and given up. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your rabbit. Corn does keep them warm from the inside out. Heat lamps are helping me out this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have boxes in your rabbit cages? Nesting boxes don't always have to be for nesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about the rabbit. We raised rabbits several years ago. What kind do you have?
    I love the antics of Lucky. Brings back fond memories of my "baby goats in the house" days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome