Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

This weeks happenings


We got a nice cool off following a tiny bit of rain this week. Of course I have been spending some time in the kitchen. I mashed up a ton of tomatoes and have a 5 gallon stock pot on the stove simmering down into sauce for canning. I picked up a big box of bananas from a church food pantry close to me. They were going to throw them away! Yes, some were past good but the majority of the nanners didn't have a blemish on them. I dehydrated this gallon bag plus I have 2 gallon bags in the freezer for banana shakes if I can ever afford to buy milk to make ice cream. The peppers plants are doing great even with the horrible heat we've been suffering thru and a couple 3 gallon buckets full are waiting in the kitchen for me to do something with.

I mashed a couple gallon bags of blackberries yesterday but forgot to grab the camera. I will be cooking it all into jam this evening since it's still a decent temperature in the house. Sunday brings more mid 90 degree weather and the house will be back to horribly hot so I need to get it done while I can.

Things around the farm are the same as they have been for the last year. I have several resumes and a few applications for work outside of coal mining. I hope I can find work quickly as my husband has decided to do nothing about us not meeting our financial obligations. I just can't make enough farming and selling produce I should be storing for us to eat to cover the taxes and mortgage. Farm business is incredibly slow as no one around us has any money to spend. It's not really a big surprise since this is a pretty poor area even before the economy took a dive. I'm doing everything I can......

13 comments:

  1. things are really tough for you and we're feeling for you xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you are still struggling so.... We're beginning to see a slow down here in MT now too( seems MT runs a year or two behind everyone else*sigh*) People are so angry, everyone is grumpy and mean acting, not much fun to work with the public when people are in this sort of mood. Let's not forget none of this is their fault, it's ALWAYS someone elses( I speaking of those who have lived beyond their means and are in debt up to their eyeballs)

    Envious of your tomatoes, we have lots of green ones but not ripening very quickly, even in the greenhouse.
    I stopped donating fresh produce to the local pantry because not very many took advantage if it and I found out they were tossing out the remainder. Sorry I work far to hard to have it just thrown away, I can feed it to our animals and at least get benefit that they are eating good.

    Take care and we're praying for you, I understand struggling with life and what you end up with we're working hard to make lemonade from our lemons,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's been a long, rough period for you and hope things start to turn around soon.

    I think a big problem of our society these days is lack of personal responsibility. But, you m'dear, seem to have it in big supply. So many would have given up but you're in there doing all you possibly can. And I think that means you'll make it.

    There are lots of us sending best wishes and warm feelings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I can find work quickly as my husband has decided to do nothing about us not meeting our financial obligations.

    I can pray for him ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're about to kick off canning here, too! Peaches in a couple weeks - pickles are already done.

    I thought you had cows for milk to make milkshakes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey you, The Reliv conference is coming this weekend and mom and I can stop by and do a presentation on Thursday at a room in the library, restaurant, etc. Let me know what you think. Helping a few people would go a long way helping you.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the prayers you all, it really means tons to me to know you all are there. I just don't have much choice but to soldier on, can't give up.

    Sis, I don't have anybody to make a presentation to, wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kath, I am happy to help at any time. I started two people on the products recently. One of them is my neighbor that is being treated for a cancerous brain tumor. He has more energy and his wife can get him out of the garden and in for dinner! Of course we are expecting great results as others have had. The other person I started was an 18 year old friend of Maddy's and she has had migraines with her cycle as well as sensitivity to smells and other stuff. She has gone one month with no migraines, has more energy, no neck stiffness and was able to go to a bonfire with no migraine from the smoke! Another victory!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, this is the first time I've seen your blog, it was recommended by Lamb, so if I suggest something you've been over before I apologise now for my ignorance.
    Anyway you sound really handy, could you lend your services out? Butchering others livestock springs to mind as do classes in preserving, cheesemaking and so on to city folk and others just starting out in farming/survival interests. You might have to travel a little to hold the classes but if you can get a small group together you should be able to make a small profit. If you could tolerate people coming to your place you could do the classes and or farmstay/campout.
    Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI my first visit, i saw it listed on the Preppers web site. I love the tomatoes and veggies you can grow there. our season is much too short to more than grow for eating. We do can but we are all not so young anymore and Myself can not get around to do any planting. keep up the great work.
    pete

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome Pete and my anon reader! LOL, love Lamb, we talk all the time over at the American preppers network chat.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome