Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thinking about beans


Yes, I know I already posted this picture but my Mom and I were just talking about it and I realized what a truly great little snapshot it is(thanks Mom!). It's getting harder and harder to ignore the hard truth about the direction this country is headed. Our economy is in the tank, we're bleeding jobs by the hundreds of thousands, the middle class is all but sank to the new working poor. Folks are starting to accept the horrible truth that we are not in a recession but a full blown working depression and things are NOT getting better. Price increases over the past several months on all basic necessities have driven some people to pass on paying their mortgage and other bills to maintain their dietary habits. Food prices are not going down, drought, fire, floods all affecting the bottom line. Electricity rates keep going up and I even read a report just this morning that says the amount of people "paying" for television services is at the lowest level in history. Well, that's good, we all need to turn the dang thing off anyway, LOL.

There is nothing wrong with having a good supply of healthy food stored up in your pantry, cabinets, closet, someplace. Everyone should have a good food supply, it just makes sense. You just never know when you will find yourself out of work or be in some sort of other financial disaster. You have to eat so why not have a little insurance policy to make sure you keep on eating well?

Growing yourself a little food should not be an idea that makes you cringe, it's really not all that difficult. Look at that picture, there is probably just 30 bean plants piled in that truck bed. Beans are prolific plants, the bush varieties will produce a huge amount of beans, all at once and require just a small bit of attention. Beans like soil temperatures to be at least 70F, prefer a loose, moist soil and a pH slightly below neutral. The seeds like to be 1-2 inches deep, 5-7" apart and like to be watered regularly until sprouting which usually takes 8 to 10 days in full sun. Beans like to have some compost or well seasoned manure about half way thru the growing season. Mulching also benefits them as their roots are shallow and helps to retain moisture. Bush varieties grow well almost anywhere, including containers, raised beds and tire gardens. Vine type beans need some sort of support like a trellis or teepee that should be set up before starting the plants to eliminate disturbing the roots. The vine types have a longer production period but as just are good as the bush types, just more work.

Don't be afraid to grow yourself some food, if you don't believe me, just think about how much food gets grown on that tiny lot in California.......

9 comments:

  1. I don't understand how people aren't doing something. It really does amaze me. I would love to be doing more and I will do what I can within my city confines. Times are only going to get tougher but most people I see have blinders on. I just keep thinking I am the ant not the grasshopper. And that helps get me through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Yart! I know how you feel, I see what you see in others. It worries me greatly that so many seem to be in denial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes perfect sense and every year we try to grow and preserve a little more food. This saves us money too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sparkless! Saving money is a good thing, eh? Plus the healthy food too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get it either, here in the UK, food prices are sky high. There are things I cut back on, the satellite TV has gone, magazine subs and anything I don't need has been cancelled. Like a lot of Brits, I'm growing veggies for the first time and it's fun and it's not difficult. I'm also preserving for the first time and that's not difficult either. My new life has given me new hobbies and a new direction and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had our first "serious" garden this year. Our bounty would have been much better if the groundhogs and deer didn't have their way with it. It was very frustrating.

    - RM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frugal, how great! All the new possibilities are almost addicting, aren't they? plus, the taste of the food...

    RM, I hear ya, moles are the biggest problem for me. Between the goats and the dog, the deer don't bother too much but the coons and skunks are hard on us. I'd suggest some methods of prevention but I haven't found anything that works 100% of the time yet. Don't give up, try tire gardening a few things in different spots, that might help for some things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with ya! I think more and more people are waking up to the fact that they'd better start preparing now, while they still can. Thanks for helping to spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kendra! I truly hope they are waking up, life is changing around them quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome