Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Thinking Spring


It's almost spring and I'm really trying hard to resist the urge to get seeds started. It's still a bit early here.

I got some new seed ordered today along with some new potato varieties I'd like to try. I know lists make peoples eyes cross, but I thought I'd share what I grow here every year anyway.

The farm produces:
lettuce, kale, carrots, radish, peppers-hot and sweet, cucumbers, 5 varieties of tomato,4 varieties of corn, pumpkins, 3 varieties of squash, brussels sprout,broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, 4 varieties of potato, peas, 3 varieties of melon, onions, garlic, 3 varieties of beans, sunflower, various herbs, coffee and tobacco.

The farm also produces peaches, apples, pears, strawberries and blackberries.

The ground here now that the snow and ice has melted(it's 60 degrees today) is like mush with rain in the forecast about every day for the next week. The planting prep for the gardens can not be done until the ground is half way dried out. No sense in carrying off half of my humus on my boots and tools! Even areas of the arm not set up as gardens produce some of the bounty. Around walkways, along the house and barns, anywhere a touch of sunshine hits is fair game here.

So for now, I will do my best to resist the urge to start my seeds and just dream about the warm spring days and the coming bounty....

Stay safe and keep prepping! For my readers in Illinois, join me over at Illinois Preppers Network

6 comments:

  1. I know what you're feeling! We hit just below 50 today and I was looking at the ground thinking about it all and itching to get out there! It will be here soon!

    Spring is coming, YAY! Just so you know you aren't alone out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant agree more. I want to start my seeds SO BAD. MUST RESIST.... I have a schedule written down though I have to wait til March 5th before I plant my first seedlings indoors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...here in Houston, it got up to mid 70's today and looks to stay somewhere in that range for the next little while.

    One of the only nice things I can think to say about living here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hearing you. Think Spring. Haven't been looking towards Spring like this for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No eyes crossed here! :)
    But, super curious about the tobacco and coffee. Husband chews and spits about $1200 a year. I'd love for him to quit, but if not, an alternative is a must. Any websites to share where I can get info on that?! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey FG, Unk, Hermit and Kookster, resist the urge! LOL I am about crazy here with it.

    Melissa, I just made a post for you with a couple links to get you started.

    Thanks for stopping in, you all keep me going in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome