Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

May-Git-R-Done



12 days gone in May already and I still don't have anything planted. Well, I did have some things planted but the garden killers ruined it all. They don't know it yet but their prison is coming. I've looked at 100's of pictures of chicken houses, chicken tractors, coops, runs, you name it and I've got an idea in my head of what I'm going to build. I even know, finally, where I'm going to put it! Now that's a big step, LOL.

The boy put the tiller together for me this morning. We're using clevis pins to replace the sheer pins it seems you can only get online thru Sears. Hmmm, why can't they order them? Not willing to wait 10 business days for 2 sheer pins to come in the mail (remember the priority mail box with the stevia?) I improvised. It worked, I have the garden tilled. I've been kind of half waiting for the neighbor to make the rounds with the big tiller but I'm done waiting. I made the first pass thru the more muddy than I'd like it to be garden and it's drying nicely. Another pass this afternoon and stuff is getting planted! This crazy spring has me a bit riled up since I don't have any future food in the making yet. I can hardly stand the thought of not having something to eat so when it's all growing, I'll be able to relax...

7 comments:

  1. We are in the process of building a coop for our dear 'ole chicken, Henrietta. Last year she ate half of our corn before it could grow!:) This year we are waiting until she is in her coop before we plant the corn and other vegies. The only thing in the ground as of today are carrots, arugula, spinach, leaf lettuce and romaine. Hopefully, she has not eaten the carrots this year. Best of luck with your chicken "poison"!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My chickens are on restriction..."go to your room!". Little buggers thought my garden beds were the right place to take a dirt bath. Unfortunetely, my new strawberries were in their way (twice). No more roaming the yard for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! Garden killers indeed. I wrapped a fence around 4 of my raised beds and the garden killers were kept at bay. I thought the 2 raised beds of onions would be safe. Uhhh, wrong. But I was there to *teach* them not to graze there. I like having them free range, but that will have to stop until all of the garden is planted and up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My chickens have stayed out of the garden so far...probably because there isn't much out there yet. Too much rain and too many cold nights still!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hens would surely have taken out my two squash plants. But, I was proactive and wrapped chicken wire around the little raised bed. It looks horrible, but the chickens stay out and I can water through the chicken wire. NOW, they are after my naked ladies. NO WAY. I hit the house and they scurry. Now, I just look out the door and they scurry if they are in the flower bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on landing on a design for the (maximum security) garden killer prison! ;)

    If you have either sketches or photos of it, I'd be very interested in the design. Otherwise I might just steal the idea from the coop for sale for the outrageous sum of $1200 plus VAT at our friendly neighbourhood Molbaks. (Yay for being a tinkerer and engineer type, you can steal ideas!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Penny, I'll email ya some sketches I have, don't spend money on a pre built one, whipping it up yourself is so much cheaper plus you get the satisfaction of doing it for yourself. Send me an email at mmpaints@yahoo.com so I can send the sketches to ya.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome