Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010


Hey all! It's still awful humid here, the kind of air that clings to you and sucks the energy right out of you. So, serious outside activity has been at a minimum here but I did manage to get some produce picked right before dark. The sweet corn is looking great and the 2 buckets were just a half row of corn. I need to get the rest of that row picked today, at least, before the coons start munching on it. I'm pretty happy with the crop, just one corn worm in all those ears. Not bad at all.

The Romas are in full swing now, wish I would have planted another dozen or so, LOL. I got 2 gallons of pulp from that bowl of Romas, it's simmering the excess water off it on the stove right now. I'm ready to be creating quarts of sauce.

I didn't butcher any rabbits like I said I was going to. It was just too hot. There's nothing worse than dripping sweat just standing there and the thought of rabbit fur stuck to my sweaty arms etc was just too much of a downer and I passed on the butchering. No worries tho, they aren't going anywhere and sooner or later, it will cool down. Until then, I'm keeping the activities that will be miserable in the heat and humidity to a minimum where I can.

10 comments:

  1. The veggies look fabulous! Great job:) It is hot and humid here too (Northeast) and like you we are doing the same thing, limiting outside stuff to late in the day when it is cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romas are my favorite - I have a few that are doing nicely but haven't produced yet. The patio tomatoes, though, are going to town.

    No corn for us this year but yours looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful harvest! I have corn and tomato envy. Really hard to grow those two up here in NE Minnesota without a green house or at least hoop house. Season's just too short.

    Good decision on the rabbit butchering. We made the same call regarding our geese this past weekend. (Yes, it's even hot and humid in our neck of the woods.) None of us want to chance spoilage in any of our meat in this weather.

    You're right . . . it's got to cool of sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot and humid in Indiana as well. Have started to take *power naps* during the hot part of the day. LOL

    It is really comfortable after dark. I think that means nighttime crappie fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your produce is beautiful!!! I like the idea of power naps myself.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. MM Good looking corn! How's the stuff in the tires doing? I would be waiting on those rabbits too. It's not like they are going anywhere soon.(except the freezer) Hmmm freezer sounds good about right now! LOL Take care and keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The corn looks great! My first year of romas and I too love them! Nice thick sauce. I think were both due for some lighter weather but I dont' see it coming for a few more weeks

    ReplyDelete
  8. That corn looks goooood. I canned a few jars last year, it was my first time. When I opened the first jar to eat, it tasted very starchy & all around just not very tasty. The water was also a milky color. Any ideas of what I did wrong? I'd like to give it another try this year.
    Stacey
    SWPA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Stacey! Ah, yes, I had that problem a few years back when I cold packed the corn. Instead of cutting it off the cob fresh now, I cook the corn and cut it off for canning. The uncooked corn is sticky, starchy and milky to begin with. Sweet corn is the sweetest when it's fresh from the stalk and cooked right away. The sugars begin to turn to starch almost immediately after picking and the sweet gets less and less the longer it sits. The best way to keep the sweet is to pick it and put it right into a bucket of ice cold water. The quicker you can get it cooled, the more sugar you can retain. next time try cooking the corn before cutting it from the cob and then hot pack it for canning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This weather sucks :( My corn was not great. I did get some canning in for green tomatoes and okra. What do you do with the rabbit furs btw?

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome