Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More rainy days- self sustained living


It's raining here on the hay field I've been sweating in for the last 3 days. It belongs to a neighbor of mine who asked for help and in turn for helping, I got IMO taken advantage of. So, my back is pretty sore and I'm kind of cranky.

I've been thinking about all the bills that haven't gotten paid this month and it's bothering me quite a bit. I have right now, over $1000.00 in bills that need paid and not a dime to my name. Zip, zero, nadda. We've been more than 30 days waiting on workmans comp. Isn't that just crazy? Every day when the mail comes and there's no check, WC gets called and they tell us they mailed it, blah blah blah. Anyway, what I really wanted to talk about was when you end up like this with absolutely no money, you could very well find yourself with nothing to eat. Now, if you've been tending your garden like you're supposed to and tending that small flock of chickens, you've got food. Throw in a little flour, salt, sugar, yeast and water and you have bread to go with your eggs and veges. If you're really lucky and have access to an animal that gives milk, you are really eating well.

Having a small spot all your own that you make self sustaining is hard work but when times like what's happening to us come your way, you've got one major important part of your life covered. You can eat. You can also eat every meal and not skimp because you don't have.

3 comments:

  1. MM, First of all I'm so sorry things aren't going well. It seems there are alot more of us these days going through some really rough patches. I hope yours gets better soon.
    What I find kind of amusing is that I would so rather be in your shoes. I have dreams about being where you have arrived. Funny isn't it, that one persons struggles become another's aspiration. Chin up! Things might get alot worse before they get better and you are well ahead of the curve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry as well. You certainly are tough and are making the very best of it. Much better than most people ever would know how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, chins up, no choice! I can just imagine what it would be like for someone that doesn't prep etc.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome