Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wet and Windy


It's so windy here today. It is drying everything out really nice but I hate to put tender seedlings out to get hammered by 35mph winds. It seems today is the proverbial rock and a hard place. That's okay tho, I'll do some tilling later on and try to get everything I want out planted before the next round of rain comes in.

The latest batch of house kittens seem to have a "thing" for my shoes.

The latest round of pound cake did not make it to the canned cherries. I'm not that surprised, anything sweet is a comfort food in this house and it never lasts very long. The past 15 months have been pretty rough for this farm and it shows on the faces and in the behaviors of each of us. Even with the new employment, it's still very stressful. Barely scraping by from paycheck to paycheck is a lousy way to live. I can't imagine what would happen to us if I didn't grow our food. I guess we'd either be starving or homeless. Speaking of which, I have 9 chickens and 6 rabbits to butcher sometime in the next day or so.

Woohoo! How about them taters? All 4 tires look great and the red potatoes are very quickly catching up to the russets. I've always had trouble with red potatoes in the ground. They never seemed to produce well. The tater tires may very well be the red potato jackpot. So far, so good tho. Just the thought of a good potato harvest is somehow very comforting to me. We sure do like our potatoes around here.

My second round of radish and carrots have finally sprouted. I will keep a couple from this round to grow to seed production so I can harvest my seed for next season. I still have enough seed for 2 more plantings but I learned last year it is better to way too much seed than barely enough. So, as long as I can keep the cats from laying all over the plants, I should be in good shape there.

I finally got 2 gourd seeds to sprout! I have been waiting more than a month for those seeds to do something. Just 2 out of 10 so far and they are the cannonball gourds. Still no bushel or apple gourd sprouts. I did manage to get 1 luffa seed to sprout too. I was really surprised about that, the seed is more than 10 years old. I'm going to try another handful so I can replenish my luffa stockpile. I'm on my next to last sponge here.

Well, back to the kitchen, we're out of bread, again.......

5 comments:

  1. Those pound cakes look great. I did what I could do help. How's the cheese coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy reading your blog. Just thought you'd like to know. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cakes made my mouth water. 8-)
    adn your kitty looks just like my little Fuzzlington did when he was a little one.

    8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get any cake this time around?? Your "taters" are looking good! Stop over at my place when ya can... I have an award for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Potatoes look great! Wow! (The cake does, too!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome