Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

More Muddy mess


It's a mess here with all the rain. Now, the weather center is calling for 39 degrees over night. Yay rah! So, all the seedlings on the window shelf must wait, close to another 10 days before it dries up and warms up enough for them to go out. I may end up losing the cucumbers I planted outside, they are flowering but looking kind of rough. They sprout quick so if I must, it will be okay.

Welcome to the new followers, I'm thrilled you joined us!

So, today I am working on a couple more pound cakes. I only got one piece from the last round! I guess the family likes this more than I thought. So, let's talk about pound cake.

3 cups of flour, 2 cups of sugar, 3 teaspoons baking powder and a teaspoon of salt mixed together. Then I add in 2 cups of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1 teaspoon of almond extract, 1/2 cup of milk and 6 eggs, one by one. Scrape the bowl and mix well. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans and bake at 350 until done. There is nothing like chemical and preservative free food. Give this one a try, it tastes better than store bought and is most certainly less expensive.

I'm also working on some Italian sauce for supper. Diced tomatoes, pasted tomatoes from last years garden, throw in some garlic, oregano, basil, ground sweet pepper, ground, dehydrated mushrooms, salt, pepper and any other herb you are fond of, simmer until it reaches the thickness you prefer and serve. I plan on using it for some baked Ziti with home made cheese and some sweet pork sausage I made last fall.

I'm still sitting on "go" for all the projects that need finished around here. It's going to take longer than I thought for us to catch up. The poor goats think they are attached to the fence posts they are tied to. The baby goats are growing quickly and they are climbing all over my firewood pile. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't knock half of it down each time. Ah, they're goats, they can't help it.

Half my bird flock is setting eggs. looks like it's going to be a good winter for chicken and duck! Lots of good eating in my future....

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try that pound cake. I've never tried making one before but sure do love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks for the recipe! WIll give it a try! We haven't had too much rain (looks like we will this weekend), but we did have a frost last night. Not sure if my pear/peach tree will be okay. Peas and snap peas in the garden look fine this morning. Waiting to plant more......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still don't have anything in :( maybe tomorrow lol I doubt it will be dry enough though. We need to have that tea sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl, I love your pictures. Pure live in those pics. Do you use organic sugar or spices from the mail order like Penzeys or King Arthur?

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome