Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

All Too Familiar

I read something this morning that hits an all too familiar chord here. At all places, the Huffington Post no less. Former Middle Class....... The story talks about a normal middle class family, 2 young kids, struggling to make a better life for themselves and then, whack, just like the rest of us, they're unemployed.

I know how they feel. It's not pleasant at all. One by one, you sell off things you worked hard for at a loss so you can keep the mortgage paid and food on the table. It's been uncomfortable here but I do have one small advantage here that most people don't have. I have something to eat because I grew it and preserved it. I did not have to spend my resources on food. Also, some wonderful people helped me out when I really needed it so I could make it to here and now. We're not out of the woods yet, but close. Closer than we were 2 months ago when the bank was wanting to default our land loan.

There's thousands of families out there in the same situation. They've lost their employment, no saving left, nothing left to sell, nothing left to cut back but the electric and the water. I can't make a job for them but I can help them to learn to feed themselves. At least they'd be eating well. That's a pretty good piece of mind at least.

For us, we're 6 days of fuel short to make it to the first paycheck. Somehow, it will work out.

2 comments:

  1. its times like this that i wish some ole timer would come outta the wood work and tell us to wise up...free isnt always better...we must learn to depend upon ourselves...and what happened to community...in the day the community helped out one another...I am still that kinda person...thanks for the post and myself and many others feel the exact same...

    pandora4real.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about at least being able to eat. My husband grew up in Bolivia, with famines and strikes and poverty but his mama was very resourceful. She had her own little farm outside of the city, planned ahead and never let the good times go to her head but used them to prepare for the next valley.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome