Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Best time to Plant

Patriot Steve asked for a listing of the best times to plant so I thought I'd give you all a link to what I use myself as a planting guide. The Old Farmers Almanac online. There's a box where you enter your town and state and it will give you the best estimation of your last frost date and when it's good to start seeds indoors or direct sow outdoors, etc.

When you click that link, it shows my hometown and my planting dates. As you will see, it's almost time for me! Yipee!!!!





Sidenote- I should have some cheese for a giveaway in the next couple of days, everyone that has commented before is still in the bowl. If you'd like to be in the giveaway and haven't commented, do so and you'll be added too. Anonymous commenters can also get in on this, just put your name so I know who you are!

14 comments:

  1. You could always plant some annuals ... a person needs some color too .. then you would feel like you planted something .. it would be like a fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I've still got a month to go before I need to start my seeds. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this link. I spent the day making new paper pots to get some seeds started. Ours says February 25, but we've got people coming over this Saturday to learn how to start seeds, so I think we'll go ahead with a few earlies.

    I need to see something of spring. We've had over 60 inches of snow this winter and I need some hope that spring will come. :)

    Take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ! Thats exactly what i was after.... good to have friends in HIGH places ! High up in the food chain that is!! thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHH! This is awesome! I picked up some little starter pods today. Thank you for the link

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that! Thanks, MM! I'm going to put a link to this post on the IL blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all may like this site if you have not discovered it on your own

    http://www.extension.umn.edu/gardeninfo/components/info_vegetables.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of good info there. Thanks for the cheese raffle.
    Donna Braun

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just discovered your blog via Bacon and Eggs' blog. WOW, even growing tobacco! Now i have a lot more reading to do! Treesong

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for posting the planting dates .I was wondering when to start the seeds in our area. I got some heirloom seeds and look forward to putting them in the ground . No more Hybrid seeds for my tomatoes and vegies. I made my first wheel of cheese last week. It turned out great. I even made my daughter a cheese press. I ordered the yellow coloring for the next wheel of cheese. The cottage cheese is great that I made. It was super easy. Great with fruit in it. Just do a google search and you will find lots of recipes. MissK in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link,have signed up and waiting to find out my dates. You and others have mentioned making paper pots. Could you tell us how they are made? I have a few seeds I would like to start soon and I think they would be a frugle way to get started.

    Thanks,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome