Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

Winter entertainment and serious growers
















Here's what I've been entertained with the last few days. Tard and Pudge, the 2 severely malnourished and neglected cats on our farm. Tard couldn't seem to get out of the box he was playing in, he was really stuck. And Pudge thought the laundry I hadn't put away yet smelled pretty good.

I've spent the last few days looking over some new seed catalogs that came in the mail. I have several things picked out, all heirloom seeds of course. The seeds are all different than what I've always planted. I want to try a few different things before the seeds just aren't available anymore. If they work out well, I'll save seeds like I do with my regular plants and I'll have a better variety for my gardens. Maybe the economy will bounce right back, maybe it won't, I want to be prepared and not say later on when it's too late "I wish I'd tried that when I could have".

We're having a bit of freezing rain today so no serious work outside, just tend the animals and back in the house. I need to spread some of my compost pile out over the garden area in the near future. I'm also planning on expanding my growing area. I visited a website that kind of shamed me and thrilled me all at once. Path To Freedom, I've added a link to their site here on the blog, everybody should check it out. These fine folks have taken a very small space and produced 6,000lbs of food on it last year! The pictures are awesome! It showed me that I waste way too much space growing what I eat here. It also proved to me that I am on the right track with what I'm doing. They produce twice what I do in less than half the space I have for gardens. Needless to say, I'm reworking my gardening plans and ideas! An excellent site with a blog type journal and an interactive companion gardeners site.

I am so excited about spring now!

5 comments:

  1. Man, if I could sleep as comfortable as my cats do...I'd be ready for anything!

    You are certainly right about their entertainment value...

    Have a good day, and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMM, love that box the cat got stuck in- my kind'a brew.
    My cat's an Old Man now, so he doesn't get into all the mschief he sed to: usually find him lying on the bed. When the pups aren't chasing him around the house. But those pups- ewww, do they like getting into things! Well, except the Old Man pup who tends to keep them in line. Especially when they want to bother him.
    Don'tcha just love those critters? More fun than a barrel of monkeys.
    Yup- winter's been long enuff..let's get some global warming going, Al!
    Shy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, thanks for the reminder about Path to Freedom, I checked them out a while ago, but never really read through a lot of things on the site. I guess I'll have to go back and revisit them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Path to freedom family have definitely figured it out. I've watched a couple of videos and just looking around the place it's incredible how they have utilized every bit of space.

    Maybe the cat couldn't get out because he drank all the beer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got a link to your blog and I think I will read it awhile. I am about ready to ditch about 30 blogs that I hit every day anyhow. They either bore me or don't have a post up very often. Hang in there. I like what you are doing with your growing.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome