Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Self Sustaining-urban vs. rural

The idea of growing food for yourself is becoming more attractive to people by the day. Fear or common sense, it doesn't much matter anymore as long as the idea is followed thru. "Urban homesteading" is the latest fashion trend. What these people fail to realize is that growing a garden, learning canning techniques and actually doing those things isn't enough. Having a small pen full of chickens isn't enough. Eating wholesome, organic foods isn't enough. Only what you can hang onto is all that matters.

Self Sustaining, what's that mean then? Taking care of yourself, feeding yourself, doing for yourself. Everyone can do it with a little effort and applied know how. What makes country folks better at this than city folks? Country folks have the correct mindset already. Every day something goes wrong! We've learned to adapt and overcome, we live with frequent power outages and things that break down. We hunt, we farm, we raise livestock every day of our lives. City folks can learn that too is the argument I hear all the time now. Sure they can but what happens when the power goes out? There's a thousand of them all trying to get thru the same intersection in traffic all at once! People become rude, even violent when they can't buy their Latte... getting my point? So, here you are, the perfect "urban homesteader", you've mastered all the skills you need and your chickens are laying tons of eggs every day and the power grid goes down. All the sudden your neighbors start to panic... what do you think is going to happen to your garden and your chickens in that nice little box? Only what you can hang on to matters.

Will it be better in the country? I think it will, for a while anyway. I don't think it will take long for the hordes to find country gardens and country chickens to eat. With any luck, they'll be thinned out some before they get to me.

So, for the urban homesteader sheltering in place- keep your head on you shoulders and have a plan for alternative living arrangements. Find a small lot of junk land away from the concentration of people, fix it up and be prepared to get there. Me, I'll be right here......

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more...very good points, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points. We live in a county with only 10,000 people. The nearest "big city" has a population of about 10,000 people over 20 miles away. No metropolitan areas within 100 miles. In event of a catastrophe, we can help our neighbors and know that our distance from urban areas will make it that much less likely to be threatened by individuals and gangs from those areas. I don't like the level of dependence urban living requires. Makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. If they come to your place by way of mine.....I'll thin 'em out some for ya. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urban homesteading is a great idea when things are going well. Urban ANYTHING is a bad idea in the event of social upheaval of any kind. No matter what the cause, you just want space and separation from large numbers of people in times of trouble.

    I was in Chicago with my boss and his son the day that Martin Luther King was shot. So I can tell you Shit DOES happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think taht way too many people are okay with the same people controlling what they eat. this video will tell you what i mean.
    http://www.foodincmovie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon, I think you are very correct. I have seen that movie, Food Inc, disturbing to say the least. Joes farm is impressive. Makes me want more land, ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome