Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's for dinner?


I was on the list, last on the list as a matter of fact, to get a couple lambs out of a trailer load. The 4-H kids had first dibs and I ended up with "Copper", a just about ready to butcher sheep. Not one to look a "gift sheep" in the mouth, I was thrilled to have him even if he wasn't what I had in mind. Now, I am a big advocate of the self sustained living ideal, I live it and so I preach it. I've never butchered a sheep before tho, it should be an interesting exercise. I'm going to let "Copper" calm down for a bit, get gentled a bit so when I do get set to butcher him, I won't have a freaked out carcass full of endorphins that make the meat rank.

Off to the barn........

2 comments:

  1. Never had sheep meat, or even lamb before. Can you give me an idea of what the taste is akin to?

    Pretty stupid question, but I really don't know...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermit, the best I can tell you is Gyros sandwich. I have never eaten lamb plain without any seasoning on it but I doubt it tastes like any other meat(tastes like chicken, LOL). It's a greasy meat. I always grind my lamb and use it mixed with pork and or deer meat and season it well. The flavor is an unusual taste, very Greek.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome