Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Not so self sustained today

They'll all on their own today! Momma's trying to get the creepy crud. The 2 worst places for picking up bacterias and viruses are without a doubt- shopping carts and gas pumps! Of course, I did both yesterday and now my throat is scratchy and my sinuses are filling up and I've got that "every nerve ending on fire" feeling. I won't be cooking or baking anything today so if the family is hungry, they're going to have to fend for themselves. Which of course will mean that my kitchen will be destroyed, yay-rah.

Now for good news, we had 2 beautiful days of nice and sunny weather and today it's back below freezing! Still sunny out tho. Today hubby is spreading the compost pile out over my new garden spot to improve the clay soil we have here. This new spot will almost double the area I will be planting in spring. I keep thinking about spring but it's still so far off. I am resisting the urge to start seeds.

I did a bit of calculating on the corn I planted last year. I planted just under a 1/2 acre and ended up with 3,100lbs of shelled corn from it. Pretty good but I think I can do better. I'll be working that out over the next couple of weeks.

The prep storage is looking good still, even with us eating out of it every day. I bought a few more food grade buckets to put home made noodles in. I need to protect them from the weevels. Evil little bugs, they get in everything here. They can chew thru plastic and cardboard with ease. Let's see em chew thru the buckets!

I need to get after the butchering roos I have running around the farm. They are making the hens not lay eggs! Time for the cook pot boys! If I feel better tomorrow, it'll be chicken and dumpling day.

Okay, I'm off to the couch and a quilt, you guys keep prepping!

7 comments:

  1. 3100lbs of shelled corn?? Now that's a bunch of corn, good job. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken and dumplings? Sounds like my kind of meal!! What time do we eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey MM, hope you're feeling bettter soon! Bay leaves in your buckets and cupboards etc keeps the bugs away.

    I love the sound of chicken & dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Was nice and sunny but cold here too. I had a bedroom full of those lady bug imposters!

    I need to put buckets on my shopping list. Thank you for the reminder.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you get to feeling better, Kid. Grocery carts, gas pumps and door handles are all thriving little communities of viral love just waiting to share.

    I'm getting so I get the creeps just shaking hands with people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3100 pounds of shelled corn! If you planted open pollinated seed you are in great shape! I've never seen that much non-hybrid corn seed.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better! Here is something I do to avoid the dreaded bugs of winter..a eat a raw clove of garlic a day with honey. It really works. I never get a cold or any other bug. I make my hubby eat one too so I don't force him to stay away from me all day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome