Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Todays Project

 Todays project was baking bread outside with wood.  Ideally, it would be in a brick oven.  Since I'm never going to be able to buy the brick and mortar I need to build one, I decided to think outside the box.  This probably wont bake me a good pizza, but it did the tasty buns bread just fine.  The bread didn't rise quite like it does in the house oven but it also didnt get the benefit of the oven pre-heating with them inside.  The grill is one of those smoker charcoal grills and I just built my fire on the smoker end with wood.  When the rolls were done, the taters in the foil were close to ready so I threw some meat on the grill, cooked it and had a nice supper with it outside, in the shade.
 Grizzly waiting for a piece of bread.
 Jake making sure there was no juice left in the bag that might make the garbage can nasty.
Sonya waiting for left overs.

9 comments:

  1. I bet that was really good. I never thought of making bread on the grill. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. becky, it's the same concept as a brick oven, fire right in there to heat it up. Putting over on the side keeps any flame from scorching it. It works okay. It's not the same as a brick oven but it's better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I like the smoker grill concept. Quick question though, do you use strictly wood when cooking in it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey coley! yah I do. I cant afford charcoal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea: bread on the grill.

    We've done pizza before (to some success). Maybe I'll need to consider trying a bread recipe next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time, cook the bread or cake or whatever in an iron skillet and cover with another iron skillet. Your results will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PP, I dont have any iron skillets. They're out of the budget here. So, I gotta work with cheap stuff and make the best of it. I'm about to lose the electric here so i'm working out how to eat the things I like without a house stove.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love cooking outdoors and eating outdoors too. when i was little my family used to do that all of the time weather permitting. bad weather and we would just picnic on the porch. families dont sit at the table at dinner time anymore much less eat food together period. sad. go to junk dealer and you should be able to find a iron skillet or dutch oven for pretty cheap-especially if it needs a good burning/cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry your budget is so tight.You can often find iron skillets at yard sales & thrift shops though, if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome