Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Big Fat Skeeter Bite


That little thing will keep a diesel motor from running.  That is the fuel/air bleeder screw next to the pumper button on top of the fuel filter.  It's PLASTIC.  My son had the big truck today and as I was coming home from the Thunder 5 Ranch, I met my son in town. We pulled up, shut the trucks off and talked a bit.  He went to head home and the dually wouldn't start.  Okay, it's vapor locked, it's done that before when it's this hot.  Popped the hood and started pumping.  Fuel bubbled out at that screw.  So, hit it with a wrench and it comes off in the socket.  Of course, the parts place doesn't have anything even close that will work and the dealership is already closed.  So, what do I do?  having a somewhat mechanical mind, I head for the farm store.  of course I won't find a plastic bolt but I can think outside the box.  I got a bolt that matched the coarse thread.  It was of course, way too long.  So, I got a nut and screwed it on the bolt, a couple rubber o rings and a roll of thread tape.  Son of a gun if it didn't work perfect!  Truck is not leaking fuel, pumped right up and drove home perfect.  About time something went my way!  Also, LOL, I'll bet the $1.89 I spent at the farm store is waaaaaaay cheaper than the replacement plastic bolt from the dealership!  So, this little bump in the road was just like a big fat skeeter bite.  itches like mad and is totally annoying but it's an easy fix!

6 comments:

  1. Yes! I love when things happen that, not the truck breaking down of course but having a cheap fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. innovative engineering is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's amazing some of the things that work when you ust dont have any other options, LOL glad my Dad taught me auto mechanics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so clever! And, I am so impressed. Lucky you to have a father that taught you and lucky you listened. I wonder how many guys would figure that out? I have a post coming up this weekend about missing parts and my fix. You just cannot beat a cheap fix that works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. like i said before ,you make stuff happen, great job of adapting on the fly.Maybe your luck is changing for the better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your story makes me think of what happened during my drivers liscense test years and years ago...back when everyone needed to know how to drive a stick shift. my dads old truck was starting to have problems and the gears would stick..anyway, during my test, (16yrs old) with a biggest highway patrolman i had ever seen at my side, tells me to parellel park on the up side of a steeep hill. well i managed to do that quite well. then he tells me to proceed on back to the police station...of course it started to rain right then and there and sure enough the gears got stuck...i turned on the appropriate emergency lights, lifted the hood and proceeded to fix the gears. to this day, i think i passed for just that reason-keeping my cool and being able to fix a problem. lol, i was shaking so badly on the way home with my new liscence that my younger brother had to drive!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome