Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thinking outside the box



In a big way, LOL. I've been busy all week working on a neighbors' farm. I need the money and they need the help, a win-win situation. I've had a few come-aparts this week but the hubby has always come up with some interesting in the field fixes for me to keep going with. Check out how he fixed the pto spring pin breakage! That silly fix made it thru 30 acres of bush hogging, LOL. The other picture is a coyote that was much closer than the phone picture makes her seem. She was just 15 or so yards off and stood there watching me for a few minutes.

I have a solid lead on 2 young heifers for milking, just a bit more than I was planning to spend but nice little jersey holstein crosses. the man said he would hold them for me and take payments so I think I'm going to be making cheese soon!

Not too much else is going on around here. The nights are down right cold this week and it leaves me wondering where our nice fall season went. The trees are not as colorful as they normally are and I blame the lack of rain and the sudden cold temperatures. I'm ready to start a fire and read a good book, LOL.

speaking of a good book, this was national Banned Book week and I did my part. I ordered "atlas shrugged" and "farenheit 451" from the library. My local branch didn't have a copy of either but they got them on the exchange just in time. I hope to crack the first one tonight!

9 comments:

  1. I love the "Think outside the box" fix!

    Good luck reading Atlas Shrugged it took me forever, I had to keep re-reading sections over and over, it was hard for me to digest and absorb. That being said, it is well worth it so if you have a similar experience keep with it.

    Congrats on the cows, I'm envious*wink* I miss milking and unless we fall into a fresh cow deal it will be another year or more before we have fresh milk*sigh*
    Blessings for your day,
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to show your picture of the PTO to my hubby. He laughed and said,"Been there, done that." lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atlas Shrugged is my favorite book. Despite Rand being wordy, the 600 pages will go quick.

    Speaking of making a profit, do you have a fall cleanup where people put junk on their road? I sold boxes of books and scrap metal for a handsome profit last fall.

    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bolt might be better than a beercan and electrical tape.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon,ROFL, there is a bolt! Tapered hole, the bolt keeps it from coming off the pto shaft but that makes it too big to fit thru the backside hole. So, how do you keep that bolt in there? With the beercan and zip ties, of course. LOL

    Hi Red! I wish they did that around here, everybody just sells their junk at the "flea market". Yes, I feel sometimes like Rand draws way to much out of a simple idea but I'm really liking it with just 100 pages left. Dagny just left the valley, LOL.

    LOL SFG, sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do, eh?

    Kelle, no congrats yet, they need to be on the farm, then we'll be all good. I so hate counting chickens before they hatch. A mans word isn't worth much around here anymore and it would not surprise me that by the time I make up the extra, he will have sold them to someone else. BTDT, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A mans word isn't worth much around here anymore..." - There's a whole mouthful and more about where things have gone in our country. That said, I hope it works out for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kath,

    Just finished listening to more Reliv health results on a call and a man shared his improvements with RA(Rhuematoid Arthritis). Nothing his Doctor offered was working. To top it off he is now sharing the products with people in his life that have noticed the dramatic change in his health and he is bringing in some nice income on the side. I hope you cow is nestled into your farm soon. Mom, Dad and all are well. We celebrated Pats b-day last week. He is well and working a side job with snowmobile parts which is going very well. Maddy is loving college and getting very busy getting experience in her field of study. Talk soon. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great fix... Back in the day I used bubble gum to fix a hole in the float of a carborator in my car to get me home... Ah, memories...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our fall colours aren't vibrant here this year either. Weird.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome