Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Thunder Boomers


Okay, blogger cooperated today so here it is, the big tree laying in the yard. Lightning blew that poor thing right in half. It was a really nice tree too, a darn shame. Hubster and the boy spent about 2 hours cutting on it, got all the branches cut off and piled up and part of the main section cut for firewood. It's still a mess and a work in progress. As hot as it's been, it's going to stay that way for a little while.

We've got between 10% and 30% chance of rain this week but I went ahead and cut hay anyway. I got 12 acres cut before a keeper broke loose. I did my best to straighten it and put it back together but the stress on the injured part was too much and I ended up spending $15 on parts this morning. Not a stitch of shade out there so the repair is going to wait until I get done on the internet ;)

The boy and I ate the first of the cucumbers last night as a snack. We make a sour cream, onion and dill mix and dice the cucumbers into it. Now that's a piece of heaven! We never get tired of eating it and I'm looking forward to a whole summer of cucumber salads :) Our first zucchini is in the fridge waiting to be made into a sweet bread. Tomatoes are teasing me, still a light orange red, just not quite ready to go. The ducks and chickens killed my melons so a replant is in order for sometime this week. I will put those row covers on the replant to protect them. Darn critters, LOL.

Last nights bath was one I honestly have to say I did not miss the hot water tank for. The cold water was truly a blessing after a whole day of pouring sweat in the hay field. Tonights bath will be the same way.

I'm thinking of planting the second round of cornmeal corn. I might get around to tilling the spot up in between the 2 bean spots tonight or tomorrow night. It will be a late September harvest, just perfect. Hopefully i can fit everything I want to get done in......

3 comments:

  1. Hi I found you through Mrs Hoppes blog. I appriciated the comment you left for her and thought I'd check you out! You are living my dream! Unfortunately the "dream" is more like a "nightmare" for my husband LOL! But I'm slowly dragging him with me.
    Any way I'll be popping in every now and again to see what you are up to. Hope to hear more from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I know anyone that works as hard as you! I read your blog and feel guilty sitting in an air-conditioned office all day, and then coming home and dreading going out in the heat to water my "garden". When I hear about your plantings, my garden seems teeny-tiny in comparison. Guess I've got to start somewhere, right?

    I'm amazed at your resourcefulness & resiliance!! You should consider teaching a weekend or one-day seminar or workshop at your place for folks like me that want to learn how to be more self-sufficient. You could certainly earn some money that way!! Believe me, people pay money for classes on stuff that's useless to learn, so I'm sure there are folks out there that would willingly shell out good money to learn from you! Give it some thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome leschornmom! LOL I hear ya on the nightmare thing, I drap mine behind me too. he loves the idea as long as he doesnt have to do any of the work. He's never late for supper tho! LOL

    Hey Kelly! I have thought about it, quite a bit actually. Just don't want to have a class with overgrown lawn, etc. sometimes you have to have money to make money, ya know? I do have tons to share tho.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome