Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

how the garden grows...


Look at how the container garden is growing! Tangerine says the pepper flowers smell good! The cucumbers have tons of tiny fruits all over the place and are flowering like mad. The Earth Tones Dent corn has all sprouted in their tires and are growing nicely. Too bad the beautiful, delicate pink flowers got washed out in the picture taking, the potatoes are all decked out. Even the pumpkins have flowers all over them.


On the farm front... Alltel wireless has decided that the roaming fees to the closest tower to me are too expensive so they have canceled my contract and will terminate my internet connection on the 10th of June. There are not may options I can afford available in this very rural area and the land line option is even out. So, after June 10th, I'm not too sure what I'm going to do. I could go with verizon wireless, but they have a 5GB a month cap and I can use that up in just a few days. I just can not get a break.


I did make the first step in establishing a "trading post" here tho. I reached out and made my first trade. I traded one of the many roosters I have running around here that has not found his way into a cook pot for something I could use, I traded him for some sugar. It's a start. I'm also working on trading a couple rabbits for some home made wine. I'm not a drinker so I figure i can either trade the wine with someone else or cook with it. Either way, it works for me ;)

Not much else is happening around here. I should have cut some hay yesterday but did not have the fuel money to get after it so we're just going to have to wait for the next round of rain to go thru ( every day next week) and see how the budget looks next week.....

9 comments:

  1. you are way ahead of me with the garden. this is the traditional planting weekend up here for gardens...I'm doing my part to uphold tradition and have most everything planted. The only glitch is that my hose faucet on the garden side of the house broke, so I'm hoping for rain!
    We can't get wireless or phone internet or cable internet here...we went with satalite. it works great for us. Hughes Net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope something works out. I love your blog! And emailing with you. Very jealous of your garden! Wish it would get warm and sunny here so our garden will grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks beautiful. I'm making a real effort this year to either eat fresh or preserve every single thing grown in our garden. (Well, I know I'll have extra to give away, too, but you know what I mean.)

    I'm hoping more and more people (in these downright rotten economic times) will learn to trade or barter. Far as I'm concerned, it's a win/win situation.

    Sure hope you can work something out for your Internet connection. I found your blog not too long ago and would hate to not have it to read now. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello HP! Yah, hughes net seems like my best bet but the install money isn't here right now.

    Hello Lisa! Hang in there, soon your stuff will look like this stuff does. It will warm up. Thanks so much for visiting!

    Hello Mama Pea! Yep, I sure do know what you mean, I'm thinking that same thing too.

    I'll still have the library computer to use, it's just so much harder to get pictures and such onto the blog. Something will work out, it has to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrat on the trading post! What a great thing to get started now. In a SHTF moment, you'll have connections set up already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the way you made your garden. Making use of scrap tires is the best way to go green. Instead of burning those tires or throwing it to the sea which both can damage the environment, its best to make it as a raised bed for your garden. I salute you on that one along with that fact that what you feed your family comes from your own garden. I wish I can also do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use old tires toO! LOL. I think I just saw something we have in common! My garden is decorated by tires my husband used for his car before. Thanks for sharing these photos. It just made me a regular reader of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Rose and welcome aboard, so pleased to have you. LOL, the tires are just great, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Using old tires are good for that plants! It looks so good! The result aren't just good its awesome !:) I want to make like what you did also for our garden. Uhm, my friend gave me this page.It's an interesting one. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome