Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Beating the Rain

ARG! The lightning is crashing all around the farm this afternoon. Severe storm and tornado warnings all around us. I still managed to get another container tub filled with dirt and the rest of those beefsteak tomatoes planted in it. I also got a row tilled up for the Roma tomatoes and the multi colored sweet peppers planted. I moved over to the sweet corn patch, tilled up 5 rows 60' long and got 4 and 1/2 planted before the clouds opened up and poured rain on me. So, I've missed out on the last hour or so I could have been planting. I did manage to get 4 used big truck tires picked up from the local auto shop for the pumpkin plantings and the mechanic gave me a free standing fire place! It's in great shape and I'm thrilled to have it.

Now the seedling shelves are emptying out. I still have the 2 types of cherry tomatoes needing out, the pumpkins, the gourds, the zuccs, the 2 kinds of hot peppers, the peas and the new bean seedlings to replace the ones that got pounded by last weeks storm. I also need to start another row of radish and another carrot row. I did finally get the celery seed to sprout but they are very tiny still so it looks like another couple of weeks before they will be ready.

4 comments:

  1. You are so-o-o-o busy and brave! Won't be long before you are swamped with produce and having to hurry to get everything put up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH! You sound like us, my onions and about ten been sprouts are all that survived..except for the tomatoes. Starting over. So much for the jump on the good weather right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a never ending struggle...but so worth it! Listening to your garden contents makes me hungry as the mental images pop up!

    Good luck on the weather, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you getting as much in the ground as you did! We've got rain off and on here today, so no planting like I had hoped.:( I've even tried a few times to go out and work with the flowers, but every time I do, the rain starts up again! Guess I was meant to be inside today!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome