Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Getting it done


Even when you don't want to! That's all part of the every day thing you deal with when you live off your own little piece of land. Things just have to be done, even when you just don't feel like it. The heat index here has been 105+ for the past 5 days. Humidity is making it even worse. You can stand in the shade and pour sweat.

The past 4 days have been miserable, we put up 1100 bales of hay. I'm trying to talk myself into getting moving this morning. That 20 acres won't cut itself! I'm still working on the fist cut of hay here, the constant rains we had all May and the first 2 weeks of June didn't help me out.

Looks like the Banty chicks think the waterer is a roost! The tiny little fellers are flying around the brooder tank now, they look like hummingbirds flitting around in there. Still too small to put outside where they will become lunch for 4 legged critters. I'm happy with the hatch rates this spring, even the non broody hens have helped me out. The turkey eggs didn't hatch tho, that's disappointing.

The garden is plugging along, the stunted corn shot up when it quit raining. I might get good sized ears out of the first crop yet! The 2nd and 3d plantings both look good tho so no worries. I've not even looked at the wheat patch yet so hang in there if you're waiting on that. I need to finish the hay fields first, then I'll get to that wheat, it's not going anywhere.

Oh, I almost forgot, it's almost blackberry time!!!! That's right, I've got wild blackberries and lots of em! Pictures of course and we'll be making some jam with them and maybe some home made blackberry ice cream if I can find a good recipe....

5 comments:

  1. This heat has been awful MM. Make sure your drinking plenty of water!

    matthiasj
    Kentucky Preppers Network

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've been busy! Hope it's the busy that makes you feel good when you sit back and survey all you've done (from inside in the a/c!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it easy and remember to drink plenty of water. We've had the 105 heat index too. I don't know how the poor animals do it. My son had to put down three of their rabbits because of the heat.

    Stay cool,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far my rabbits are hanging in there. I even had one kindle a couple days ago. She had 7 and threw 2 out. We tend them 3 or 4 times a day, keep the water fresh to them. The horses are standing sweating, it's rough.

    I'm taking 2 gallons of water with me everywhere I go now and every time I see a faucet, I'm topping them off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wanna share your blackberry recipes????

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome