Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Birthday Countdown


It's a couple hours to my birthday.... another year gone by. I spent the day playing in my kitchen enjoying myself. I also got another Wusthof knife I won on ebay in the mail today. I love getting packages, it's like Christmas ;) I just about have all the knives I wanted, one left to find. I've got a few Wolfgang Puck chef knives laying around doing nothing now if anybody wants them....

I made some ricotta cheese today so I could whip up some Lasagna. It was pretty easy, just a little citric acid and a gallon of milk. I ended up making 2 batches since I don't use cottage cheese in my Lasagna. Then, I made a 2 gallon batch of mozzarella cheese. It's the first time I ever tried it, it was a recipe called 30 minute mozz and you put the curd in the microwave to achieve the temp needed to make the cheese stretchy. It was a lot of fun making it. I ended up using the whole batch on home made pizza! So, instead of the Lasagna, I cooked up some home made italian sausage, some bacon and some ground beef, sliced up some mushrooms, onions and green peppers and we had pizza, meat lovers style.

We've had some gusty wind the last few days and the make shift door on the chicken coop blew down and let my new chickens loose. My son caught them all back up but one hen and she decided to fly up to the barn roof. Guess we'll be chasing her for a day or so...

Took a trip to the local Amish bakery with my friend and newest prepper convert today. I looked around at what they had and I'll just keep baking for myself. The Amish are getting $2.50 for a loaf of white bread, $3.50 for a loaf of wheat the same size I bake for my family every day. They're also getting $1.50 a dozen for eggs. Perhaps I need to expand my produce stand at the end of the driveway this year.....

Hubby bought me a birthday present today, a new craftsman heavy duty tiller and he tilled 3 of my garden spots for me while I was making cheese. I may set some onions in a day or 2 if the almanac says I can....... still waiting on the taters I ordered to come, I hope they hurry up and get here. I'm ready to get them planted! The 70 degree day we had today has me very ready for spring!


Stay safe and keep prepping.......

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, EMM. Many happy returns- and in much better times.
    God bless.
    Shy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a happy birthday and many lovely memories of the day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I so wish I was closer to you so I could learn the cheese making process. I would also love to do a farm stand someday. This year, DH and I are going to be able to have a huge garden. I am so excited about it.
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey MMP...hope you have a good birthday! I wish you many happy returns...

    Glad someone besides me still has birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday. Great present from hubby.Know it will be well used.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome