Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Planted seed of inspiration


This post was inspired by something I read over at the Johnson Family Farm blog. Never thought about posting about soap until Johnson's made some soap using the tried and true melt and pour method. They did a good job, the pictures are great. My last melt and pour attempt didn't come out anything like that. Good job Johnsons!

I started my quest to make soap because my daughter hit puberty and was covered with acne. Store bought remedies were not working and were just plain expensive wastes of time. We tried every kind of soap made and nothing helped. It took around 3 weeks or so I guess for her skin to clear up and she's been blemish free ever since. We've never bought another commercial bar of soap again. Guess it's just one of those things we do and don't think about, like doing laundry or washing dishes.

5 comments:

  1. That's great!! Glad you got some inspiration over at our place. Reading blogs is where most of mine comes from, I love to learn from others. I am gonna try your method with the pvc pipe, got plenty of it on hand. Great post and great job on the soap too. Easy to understand instructions make this a soap making project anyone can do. Thanks a bunch.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your instructions are great and I'm going to give soap making a try. Thanks for inspiring me.

    Ara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couple of questions regarding using cow milk:

    1. Can raw cow milk be used? Would the lye/borax combination be enough to kill any harmful microorganisms in the milk?

    2. Does it matter if the milk is skimmed or whole?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jim! Raw milk can be used, the whole milk would be better for the fat content in it. Freezing it tends to make the butterfat glob up(necessary step tho) but it melts back in nicely when you add the lye to it. I don't add the borax to the milk/lye, I wait and add it in with the oils and then add the milk/lye to it all.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome