Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Ponderings

I'm just messing around today, trying to get out of cooking because there's a pile of dishes needing washed first. I was on eBay looking for a deal or 2 on canning jar lids, none to be found, and under related searches was "survival foods" so I clicked on it. 101 items listed, some were priced reasonable, some not. MRE's, canned chicken, peanut butter, etc. Interesting....

Anyway, my thoughts of the day were about canning jar lids. I've got plenty of jars, most of them full of what my garden produces to feed us. But it struck me that the lids are a one time use item. So, of course, that nagging little voice in my head tells me I need to check my lid stock. Turns out, I've only got about a year and a half of lids! For me, that just will not do. I can't help but feel that the troubles this country is headed for will last longer than a year and a half. So, now I am on the hunt for more canning lids. Easy enough to find but this will still drive me crazy until remedied.

LOL, no rest for the wicked I guess...


Christmas wishes for everyone and thanks to a few more...

Hermit, Degringolade, Pearls, Scout, Bullseye, Scavenger, Chris W, Green Apple Orchard,Survivalist News, Urban Survivalist, Mayberry, Shy Wolf, Ozark Momma, Bison Survival, Andy and Mel, Jeff and Farmergeek...
Thanks for joining me, helping me, entertaining me and teaching me...

Merry Christmas and God bless

5 comments:

  1. Hey there... 2 things...

    A very Merry Christmas, to you and yours.

    really quick... I reuse cannings lids as long as the ring on the bottom is still intact. I've never had food go bad on me. Can't have too many lids, but some could be re-used. :-) Also, I know most people say not to do it anymore, but I am still a fan of sealing jams and jellies with parrafin. Lots of re-uses and I have known some people to chew it like gum. Just some thoughts.

    Once again, have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, like you said...no rest for the wicked and the rightous don't need it!

    Good luck on the Great Jar Lid Hunt...and happy holidays to your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Farmer, Grams always threw them away and I never asked. I just learned something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy highland xmas from Scotland to you and yours

    from andy & mel at the blackbus

    ReplyDelete
  5. After I made a great find on freecycle on jars I started looking for lids. So far here's the best I've found.

    http://www.canningpantry.com/baredolicaof.html

    $90 for 720 regular size lids. Wide mouth are way more money. Hope that helps & if you find a better price I'd appreciate a heads up. Luck, Unk

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome