Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Great Weekend

                               Happy Easter to all.


 Here's a quick picture of the raised beds I built to play in this growing season.  Garlic, yellow onions, a little brussel sprouts going (the ones left over after Sissy Goat chewed them) and whats left of the zucchini.
   The front garden patch with white onions, carrots, red cabbage and lettuce planted.  We haven't had rain since the spot got set and goat proofed.  Thought rain was in the forecast for the next day or so but it seems to have changed so I watered it all down this morning, hopefully it will help germination.
A batch of laundry soap needed made so I ground up the bar soap and whipped up a batch.  I mix one box of washing powder in with 2 boxes of borax and 12 (4oz) bars of my home made soap.  At 2 Tbsp of powder a load of wash, this lasts quite a while and it does a fine job.

Oh, I went to a "preppers/ sustainability" meetup on Saturday and did I ever have a great time!  What an awesome group of people I spent the day with!  I met a few people I didn't know before, enjoyed some really great discussions, learned a bunch about a few things I didn't know anything about, got to share some of the homesteading experiences I've had with people who understand what I'm talking about,  we had an awesome potluck supper and best of all, the people were great!  LOL, can you tell I had a really nice time? Every time I get around people like this wonderful group, I feel energized, motivated and just generally uplifted.



Now, what can I stir up and get done for this week????

8 comments:

  1. yesterday i got my okra and brussel sprouts in the garden. then i took some leftover lettuce seed and sprinkled it in the centers of my bean poles..today, i repotted my tobacco seedlings. we have been busy cutting and stacking low branches and loose broken branches from the trees..just one more load of laundry to bring in from the clothesline. i make my own laundry soap as well but i use the liquid form as this is what i have to use for my washer machine...1oz per load..saves alot of money for sure..i usually make up enough to last a year and i reuse old detergent bottles to store it in. got lucky a few years ago and found a pump type bottle for laundry detergent that actually pumps 1oz per push of the pump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anon! What a great find, the pump jug. You just mix your laundry soap mix with water until you get the mixture you want, correct? I thought about that myself but the powder works alright for me if I put it in the bottom of the load. The weather has been so wacky here, a little paranoid about getting started too quick and then losing plants ;)

      Delete
  2. What kind of washing powder do you use? Your post sounds very optimistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PP! Aw, it was just a great weekend! The washing powder is just the cheap stuff from Dollar Store, blue box, says Xtra on it. Works just fine.

      Delete
  3. Your gardens look so neat and tidy! We are already getting behind on getting stuff planted, but I am so anxious to get it all in and start eating it! I envy that tiller setting there. I can't wait to save up and get a small one I can handle and use.
    I make and use the powdered laundry soap, too. But I make the liquid for my mom. She likes to still dissolve it in a little hot water (does it in the microwave) before she adds it to her washer. She feels it gets it to working faster and it seems to work wonderfully for her. I have given thought to trying that with my powdered, as I don't have hot water, I have to wash with all cold water.
    I hope you had an enjoyable Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna and thanks! I hope they stay that way and the goats don't find a way to get in there and chew it all up. So far, they aren't even paying attention to it all but once it grows good, it will smell tasty to them ;) I wash with cold water too, the powder does okay for me here.

      Delete
  4. I love making laundry soap, but I prefer the liquid to the powdered. Sometimes, when using the powdered, not all of the soap flakes dissolve and end up getting stuck on the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovley Garden i have a nice idea planned i will show you the pictures when im done.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome