Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

Self Sustaining Living- Holiday Meal and a realization

,
Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone and I found myself short on a few things needed for the meal that my containers could not handle. So, I ran out to the local Sav-a-lot(box store) for a few things. I picked up 5 tomatoes, head of celery, 4 green peppers, 2 cucumbers and a bag of carrots. The total was $16.54! Now, this is from the local discount grocery! One more plant of each variety plus a celery plant or 2 and I would not have had to spend that
money. These items would have normally been off my own container plants for the every day meals I prepare for the 4 of us and fed us well for 2 days worth of meals. So, using that as an example,growing these things for myself would save my family $50 a week.What??? $50 extra a week??? That's not something to sneeze at, that's $200 a month, or $2,400 a year! That's a decent amount of money we could be fixing something that's broken around the farm with or just plain saving for a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome