Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What the...over?


Okay, I'm the floor scrubber, laundry maid, dish washer, yard mower, feed thrower, nanny goat and now the hen turkey.

Alright, recap of what happened with the turkey poults- first, Sis stomped on the brooder lid, fell in and crushed 6. 5 left. Monday, the poults all ganged up on one and pecked it to death over night. So, Tuesday, I put them out in a horse stall in the barn and obviously didn't do a good enough job blocking the door because 3 of the remaining 4 were chew toys in the yard when I got home from a run to the DMV. The 4th one was slobbered but escaped the puppies and got back in the stall. I rescued him and back into the brooder he went. Today, while I was having coffee (a break from the tree clean up, that fire got hot!) he was in there pitching a fit so I let him out. He ran around snapping up flies for a while and then decided he needed a nap. I havent been able to get rid of him since. He spent the rest of the day following me around in the grass while I spent the rest of the day trying not to step on him. Great. Just what I need, another helpless soul to follow me around.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having with the turkeys! That is so sad!
    We had 2 turkeys once and they were the best fun! They followed us all around the yard like puppies, even when they were grown (they were pets). And they were comical... fun to watch. Someday I hope to have some more. I will never forget sending my kids outside to eat watermelon. One of the turkeys sneaked up on my youngest daughter, grabbed her LARGE hunk of watermelon and RAN WITH IT AS FAST AS HE COULD GO!!! My poor daughter sat there crying while the rest of us couldn't stop laughing. She was happy again, though, when I gave her a new, bigger piece of watermelon.

    Turkeys are so expensive, even the chicks. It is just terrible all the bad luck you are having with them. I do hope you can eventually successfully have a good flock of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turkey stories are not happy ones! You are now Mama to a turkey baby, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you just weren't quite ready for turkey's. Next time will be different as you will know all that can go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so sorry about laughing over this...it truly is not funny about your troubles with all of these critters...but a thought came to my mind while reading your blog...i thought that maybe you must feel like you are living in a three ring circus most days. someday, i truly hope you get a chance to take yourself a very deserved vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon, LOL, go ahead and laugh, it is funny and you're right, it's like circus here every day. i even have a clown or 2 around, LOL. Any time you put critters on the homestead, it's barnum and baileys every day! I wish I had a video camera that ran all day here, you all would never stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome