Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Hanging Out



Not too much has been going on farm wise around here. Just kind of hanging out, waiting for seeds to grow, wading thru the mud, feeding critters and such. The evil storm that whacked Indiana rolled thru here and dumped heavy rain, high winds and quarter sized hail as it was building up to take away life 100 miles away.

On top of all the nasty weather we're seeing across the midwest, underground, in the coal mine is particularly dangerous right now. The quickly changing barometric pressures and temperatures cause serious safety issues for coal miners. Roof falls happen without notice and are deadly. So, when you flip your light switch, remember that there's a coal miner somewhere underground, dodging falling rock to bring that electricity to you.

I went to a preppers meet up on Saturday. I really enjoyed the conversation with like minded people. One of the things we discussed was tornado preparedness. How to better protect yourself and your preps when something like a tornado can easily throw all of it, and you, all across the country side. I think I will be working on getting the blocks together for the root cellar and completing that project soon. The urgency to do something about being completely wiped out by something I can not prevent is pretty strong at the moment. Being prepared won't count much if a tornado comes along and levels the whole area.

ARG, I'm up waaay too early today. The puppies were barking. I should have looked out the front window before turning them out the front door, the horses have found a weak spot in their fence and were standing in the front yard. Horses being out isn't really too big of a deal since there's no gardens planted out there but the puppies are herding dogs and their instinct to herd is actually pretty strong. So, now there's hoof prints (more like hoof craters) all over the front yard. While the old roping horse doesn't even notice those tiny bags of bark, the 2 ex race horses think it means "go" with a race to the finish line. At least the pups listen, kind of, and quit when told to. They were pretty proud of themselves tho, LOL. Maybe after a half pot of coffee I'll go catch them up at feeding time. They know where they get fed and never miss a meal. Glad is wasn't the cows loose or I'd still be slopping thru the mud trying to catch them...

8 comments:

  1. Glad the storms missed you. How do you prep for tornadoes with livestock. I moved out of "Earthquake Area" of CA 13 years ago, didn't lose any animals in '89 quake although neighbors lost houses. Now I live on 20 acres of open land which is fine for animals here, but would not be good if I was in tornado's path. Hate to think of what I would do with ~ 100 animals if I had a tornado to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TL, there's not much ya can do. The horses know if something bad is coming, they'll run. The cows IMO are too stupid to run. The goats hunkered down in the square bales for this latest storm. Rabbits and chickens are on their own. The cats all disappear when bad weather is coming and the dogs will stay right with us and do what we do for the storm. Sometimes penning the critters up in the barns is more dangerous than just letting them do what their instinct tells them to do. Fear can get both you and the critters hurt, even when you're trying to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the storms missed you. All this early activiy got me off my butt to get a tub filled with supplies and down in the cellar....a place I do not visit as snakes and spiders are not my friends! One night we had a strange banging and somehow a rabbit had gotten in! So Pa says he will do some repairs and figure out where the critters are getting in. A tornado is really the only reason I'd want to go down there on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you Diana! While I'm not too bothered by snakes, I still don't like being surprised by them and spiders, ew, I squish em when I can. I am going to work on a root cellar for sure now, plus be sure to have everything to finish it ahead of time so we don't end up with another duck pond!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth at Red Barn FarmMarch 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

    MM You said you were like 15 miles from Harrisburg..If the county requests aid from FEMA you may be able to qualify for building a safe room on your property paid for by them. Do a search for FEMA grants for safe rooms. FEMA also has a guide complete with plans that you can order from their publications site. Even if you don't use it for tornadoes, it makes a handy storage place for preps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. even with a fema grant to build a small private shelter on your own property..it aint free...you still have to be able to pay for half of it... better yet, i have noticed here in n.e.miss. that regular contractors are in the shelter building business and will do same work or custom work for about what it costs fema and citizen together. also, you are not waiting around on paperwork and red tape. when we get stormy weather, my sharpeis have learned to just go fetch their harnesses and leashes and then keep me company in my middle of the house safe room...they hate storms something fierce, but they will stay with me or hubby-and wont make a move without us in tow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, glad I found your blog. :) I'm a relatively new prepper...about a year now. Glad you dodged the storms and your goat and cat look so cute! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey all you followers wanted to let you know that it the authors birthday today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER!!!! Hope you have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome