Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

First cheese wheel


Woohoo! There it is, the very first wheel of cheese from the jersey cow! it's the half batch of cheddar I made the other day. The cheese has a richer, almost buttery taste to it and I suspect it is due to the high butterfat content of the milk. I tried to make some Gouda last night, it did not turn out so spectacular. I did not expect perfection for the first time making Gouda and I did learn a couple things as i went thru the process so I hope the next round will be better.

This morning was so much fun!!! I got a milker from Maggidans and used it for the first time this morning. No more dirt floaties in the milk, no dumped milk pail and no udder chasing! I never have to play rodeo clown again. I had morning chores all done and the cow milked in half the time it took me just to milk that cow yesterday. How cool is that? Best part of it is, there's no electric parts to break ( no electric at all). This neat little milker fits perfectly into my self sustained living plan. I love it when I find things like this.

The weather is goofy here still. it was 49F yesterday after the week of mid 20s. it's pouring rain now and the cold is coming. I can see the skating rink in the circle drive now.

Not too much else has been happening around the farm, just every day chores and some bread baking. I've had plenty of work on the neighbors farm tho. I'm ready to stay home for a few days!

4 comments:

  1. We've been out of the milking circle for so many years now I didn't even know there was such a gadget available. How cool. I'm sure it would go a long way toward keeping the milk bacterial-free. Gotta file that one away in case we ever get back into dairy goats again. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cheese wheel looks magnificent! It is exciting to hear that you are squared away on the cheese front. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cheese looks wonderful! I'll have to get one of those milkers for my goats. I have been looking into them. Best things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Kat,

    Long time no talk to.....curious where you get the products you need to make cheese? I'm going to start right after the first of the year and need a good source for the supplies.

    Thanks...Merry Christmas and God bless,
    MaMaBear in the Mitten

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome