Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Are you kidding me?

I was just reading this story from yahoo news... it says 1 in 10 Americans getting food stamps. The title of the article is Food Stamp list swells to record 32.2 million... How depressing is that? I have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to welfare, I could rant for hours. Here in rural southern Illinois, I see the program abused and I see lazy ignorant people reaping the benefits of others' hard work. I also see the government not doing anything about the abuse, they turn a blind eye to it here. I'll quit this subject now or I'll go off on a 2 hour rant.

Here's something else I read today I'd like to share with you today. It's also from yahoo news, it's about how Wall Street could be indicating a bottom to the recession. It's called New Signs Emerge That Recession may be Near Bottom. I read the article and it seemed to me that the author contradicted himself all thru it. If the wealthy spend some money but the jobless rate keeps going up, how is that a bottom to the recession???? If those of us that qualify as "working poor" (anybody making less than $40,000.00 a year) can't buy food without foodstamps, how is this a sign of things getting better? I just don't get this at all. 10% of the workforce in this country is collecting unemployment. There's no count of the people that have exhausted their benefits and are still out of work.

My family is working poor. We work hard for what we've got and I do my very best to make sure we eat well without the aid of the government. With the help of my son, I provide our food with blood sweat and tears. I am disabled as well. We do not collect any type of government aid. If I can do this, anybody can do this.

We've got a storm headed our way, due to run over the top of us any time now. My back is so stiff and sore, I can hardly breathe. I look forward to it passing us by so I can get back to business as usual. I'm milking cows for my neighbor for the next couple of days, they're out on a calf buying trip. I love the calves, if it's not pouring rain, I'll get a pic or 2 for you all to see.


Stay safe and get growing something!

6 comments:

  1. What I wonder about is the actual count of people out of work... locally, I've heard of folks that aren't on the unemployment list, yet. And, what about the housewives that could be considered unemployed - but aren't collecting the benefits of that. Or the self employed that are seeing a huge reduction in their income but aren't on unemployment yet. What I wonder is during the depression, the number of unemployed were the MEN who were unemployed - women typically weren't job holders (please correct me if I'm wrong) so to compare today's unemployed counts with that of the Depression is skewed, in my opinion. It does take both parents nowadays to work to make it (or so it seems). Or are the unemployment rates truly reflective of those who could work, but are jobless? I don't know - it's all just so murky and like a lot of other people have said, it sure feels like something big is coming!

    I just got some seeds in a seed swap - so I'm off to plant more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a buddy that was out of work for nearly 6 months. He never received any government help. He didn't have a golden parachute. He didn't even ask for help through our church (which does a lot of charitable giving for folks in trouble). He wasn't making that much before he got fired. He had just lived simply (with his rather large family) and prepared himself well. He's my hero.

    Also, if you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest the book "New Deal or Raw Deal". It makes a pretty compelling argument against government twiddling with the economy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping in and you guys got it exactly. Bryce, your friend isn't being represented in the "count", and neither am I. We're doing what we can to feed ourselves. Thanks for the suggested read too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My family is working poor. We work hard for what we've got and I do my very best to make sure we eat well without the aid of the government."

    I am standing and applauding. Not too many people work for their food like this. I wish more would. Or would at least be willing to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family and yours have much in common. We too are working poor but NOT on any assistance. We raise all our meat, and eggs, and grow much food.

    Currently I am canning apples that an orchard gave away on Craigslist for livestock. When we were going to pick it up, we thought the apples would be bad, but fine for the animals.

    These apples are amazing and I am sad that if another picked them up, animals would be eating good food.

    Mind you, some of the apples are bad, and we have given to the animals. I just was shocked that it was to be tossed. I haven't been able to post on either of my blogs as I know this person reads my blogs.

    Anyhow, great post, and I too am troubled by so many that *need* assistance.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just happened by your blog through someone else's and I agree 100% with everything you say!

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome